Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art

Pareidolia

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.

Re: Pareidolia

Postby misterdoe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I would guess yes... paradoxically.
misterdoe
Lexiterian

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Today's Good Word was made up recently from Ancient Greek para "abnormal, wrong" + eidolon "ghost, apparition".
By the by, eidolon is one of our earlier Good Words: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3224

Now, about that "para" being abnormal or wrong. Where does that leave paralegals, paradoxes, and paramedics? :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.
Slava
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 pm

This is pare- not para-. I suppose it may have once been para-eidolia and later simplified.

The prefix para- has several meanings. As a former chemist, I usually think of the benzene ring that has ortho- meta- and para- carbon string relationships on it.

In the examples Slava gives, it means along the side of.

My dad called people not in the direct line of producing something meta-people. I think he meant they were expendable. I know he disapproved of people like insurance salesmen, bankers, and stockbrokers. He approved of farmers, welders, engineers, grocers, teachers, preachers and deep thinkers such as those who discuss things on the Agora. Alas, he died and went to Glory before the Good Doctor created the Agora. He would have loved it.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.
Philip Hudson
Grand Panjandrum

Previous

Return to Good Word Discussion