EDUCATION

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

EDUCATION

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:23 pm

• education •

Pronunciation: e-jê-key-shên • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Instruction, teaching, providing knowledge and developing the skills for using it. 2. The knowledge obtained from instruction, as to have a good education. 3. A program of instruction for imparting knowledge and thinking skills. 4. Pedagogy, the discipline of teaching how to teach.

Notes: Because education plays such a central role in industrialized nation, this word has procreated a large family: educative, educatory, and educational are adjectives meaning "providing education". Educable means "capable of being educated". Someone who teaches is an educator and someone who teaches teaching is an educationist.

In Play: Since educational institutions around the world are booting up for a new academic year, today's contributor (see Word History) thought this word appropriate for the season. The psychologist B. F. Skinner once said, "Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten." Oscar Wilde, on the other hand, thought that nothing worth knowing can be taught. What does Dr. Goodword think? "Education is expensive but not nearly so much as ignorance." Everyone has an opinion; click here for a sampling.

Word History: Today's Good Word comes down from Latin educatus, the past participle of educare "to lead out, bring up" from ex "out of" + ducere "to lead". The original metaphor was probably that of leading someone out of the darkness. The noun from the Latin verb ducere, ductio(n) "leading, carrying", came down to Italian as doccia "(water) pipe, conduit", where it was borrowed by French as douche "shower". (Today's Good Word has a special significance for Katie O'Briant, a student from Magnolia, Texas and a frequenter of our own, very educational Alpha Agora)
Last edited by Dr. Goodword on Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:26 am

Doc, do you flaunt your education by spelling Italian with two l's?

Brazilian dude

P.S. My emoticons are not working.
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:10 pm

. . .
P.S. My emoticons are not working.
:cry:

:wink:

Make sure you didn't accidentally check the Disable Smilies box. That's the only thing I can think of.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:33 am

:( :?

They have gone back to their previous condition owing to some inexplicable work of thaumaturgy.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 am

It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. Or Dr. Goodword. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:34 pm

BD, did you determine who the thaumaturge is/was?

-Tim ;)

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:41 pm

I think the problem lies in the other computer I use at work. This one doesn't have any problem with smileys.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:06 am

Doc, do you flaunt your education by spelling Italian with two l's? ...
I suggest that anyone, especially anyone as well-educated as our good doctor, who spells «Italian» with two «l»s is flouting, rather than flaunting, his or her education....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”