Thanksgivukkah

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Thanksgivukkah

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:37 pm

• Thanksgivukkah •

Pronunciation: thænks-giv-ê-kê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: The hybrid holiday when the first day of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving coincide.

Notes: This word will be useful again in 2070 and 2165. After that Hanukkah will not fall in November for 70,000+ years. What prevents today's Good Word from being a nonce word? More than five million occurrences on the Web, Thanksgivukkah t-shirts, and turkeys whose tail feathers form a menorah.

In Play: Today's Good Word is a blend of two words, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah. Thanksgiving, in its turn, is a compound of thanks + giving. The first Thanksgiving was held in 1621 by the Plymouth Colony Pilgrims in appreciation of the Massasoit tribe's assistance in bringing in the harvest. Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863.

Word History: The second half of Thanksgivukkah is the English rendition of Hebrew hanukkah "consecration" from hanakh "he trained, dedicated". This verb comes from the noun hekh "palate", which gave the verb the original meaning of "he rubbed the palate of a child with chewed dates", something that was done long ago during the instruction of children. The past participle, hanoch "dedicated", was also used as a name, Hanoch, which the Greeks and Romans interpreted as Enoch. (We wish our Jewish friends the happiest Hanukkah and all others the happiest Thanksgiving ever.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Thanksgivukkah

Postby Slava » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 am

I'll jump on the band-wagon and wish all and sundry a Happy Thursday, 28 November, 2013!

Live long and prosper.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 pm

I'll save the word for my grandchildren: 70,000 years
I won't be around. Earth probably won't either.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm

From the antipodes in Kunming, China I also wish one and all a happy Thanksgiving. However, I cannot jump on the Thanksgivukkah bandwagon, considering it a verbal creation as ugly as the turkey. The concept is fine, but we can do better than mashing "Thanksgiv" and "ukkah" together. Even "Hanugiving" would be better. In fact, that's a good idea, isn't it, if I do say so. Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, Hanugiving, ten times in all, enough to get the ball rolling and capture the attention of the authorities.

Anyway, have some more cranberry sauce.

Pepshort
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pepshort » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:56 am

Personally, I prefer 'Thanks-a-latke' (latke -- a potato pancake traditionally eaten during Chanukah)
"Luke, there is no try, there is either do or not do" -- Yoda

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:00 am

Personally, I prefer 'Thanks-a-latke' (latke -- a potato pancake traditionally eaten during Chanukah)
Excellent!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah, definitely better. Thanks-a-latke X 11. That'll give it one more repetition than Hanugiving.

Happy Thanks-a-latke everyone.

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Postby wurdpurrson » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:05 am

I posted elsewhere with another AgoraWord: a sweet 92-year-old friend, bubbe Joan, wished me "Gobble Tov!"
:D

Return to “Good Word Discussion”