Fetching

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Fetching

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:52 pm

• fetching •

Pronunciation: fe-ching • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Pretty, attractive, alluring, lovely.

Notes: Today's Good Word is itself a such a pretty word itself, it was included in The 100 Most Beautiful Words in English. It started out as a participle of a metaphorical use of fetch "(go and) get" that wandered a bit off course to become an abandoned orphan (see Word History).

In Play: I think fetching is a prettier word than pretty, although the meanings of the two words are about the same: "Barbie Dahl looked quite fetching in her new dress from Letticia Romane's fashion boutique." It applies as well to things other than people, too: "I saw Joy Ryder in a fetching little red sports convertible yesterday. Is it hers?"

Word History: The verb fetch for centuries meant "draw", as 'to fetch a tear' or 'a bell fetched us into the drawing room'. At that point, following the model of attractive from Latin attrahere "to draw to", fetching was born. Fetch in Middle English was fecchen, from Old English feccan "to bring, take". Feccan apparently was a variant of fetian "bring back, obtain", which comes from PIE pod-/ped- "to walk, a foot". This word also ended up in English as foot and, via Latin, as pedal and pedestrian. The O-variant turned up in Russian as pod "under, below". Greek turned it into pous, podos "foot", as in oktopous, borrowed by Latin as octopus, the eight-legged cephalopod. Latin came up with its own numerical compound with this word, tripus, tripodes "three-legged stool", which English borrowed as tripod. (Let's have a show of gratitude for William Hupy, who has recommended many Good Words, but none so fetching as today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Re: Fetching

Postby bamaboy56 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:57 pm

This is a word that made me smile when I read it. I've only heard it used in the Deep South. I've never heard it used anywhere else. Just saying.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:05 am

This is a word that made me smile when I read it. I've only heard it used in the Deep South. I've never heard it used anywhere else. Just saying.
Hmm, in common use in the UK.
Iain

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Not hearing it much if ever here in the Plains. Fetch usually
refers to a dog and a stick.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Fetching brings to mind a uppercrust attitude implying it is beneath them to lust, desire, or drool.
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:36 am

Don't know about your bailiwick Perry, but whilst we may internally drool or lust, it would be considered less than fetching to do so overtly.

Acceptable: 'That's a very fetching dress Lavinia'
Not acceptable: 'Phwoar! Wouldn't mind a bit of that, love!'

That's how it is in the UK anyhow, and I'd say that cuts across class boundaries. Of course you can sometimes translate the first to the second mentally depending on the speaker, but generally the second styling would not make you any friends.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Discussion”