Hocus Pocus

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Hocus Pocus

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:28 am

• hocus-pocus •

Pronunciation: ho-kês po-kês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Interjection

Meaning: 1. (Interjection) Hocus-pocus is a "magic" word uttered by a magician that is supposed to call forth the magic of a prestidigitator; it is a near synonym of abracadabra. 2. (Noun) It may, however, be used in reference to magic tricks themselves or, metaphorically, any trickery involving behind-the-scenes or under-the-table deception.

Notes: Since this word is a noun, given the English tendency to 'verb' nouns freely, you will probably run into words like hocus-pocused and hocus-pocusing. Hocus-pokery doesn't surprise me at all, given the potential influence of jiggery-pokery with the same meaning.

In Play: Hocus-pocus began its life as a phrase uttered by magicians imitating the magic words used by witches to cast spells: "You want a raise in your allowance? Do you think I can say, 'Hocus-pocus,' and pull money out of my ear?" However, since magicians depend on deception, today this word most often refers to real trickery: "What sort of hocus-pocus did Phil Anders use to get Marian Kine to go out with him?"

Word History: In his book on witchcraft, A Candle in the Dark (1655), Thomas Ady wrote: "I will speak of one man . . . that went about in King James his time . . . who called himself, 'The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus', and so was called, because that at the playing of every Trick, he used to say, 'Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo,' a dark composure of words, to blinde the eyes of the beholders, to make his Trick pass the more currently without discovery." Archbishop (of Canterbury) John Tillotson later claimed in 1742, "In all probability those common juggling words of hocus pocus are nothing else but a corruption of hoc est corpus (meum) "this is (my) body", by way of ridiculous imitation of the priests of the Church of Rome in their trick of Transubstantiation." (This is yet another word included in The 100 Funniest Words in English, but was neglected in the Good Word series. By the way, the book makes a swell Christmas gift for word-lovers.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Hocus Pocus

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:43 pm

I tend to accept Archbishop John Tillotson's source for the word. As a Baptist who doesn't believe the communion bread is not actually the body of Christ, I will not use the subject word as it ridicules the Christian faith.

There are a lot of "magic" words. To paraphrase Hamlet said, "I pray thee, avoid them." There is some kind of information site on The Internet named Shazam. Who knows what this means? Look it up. I consider it blasphemy also.

Abracadabra has an uncertain past. One is that it is an acronym for "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." I avoid it all.

Incantations should be avoided. What if one actually summoned a ghost? King Saul in the Bible had a witch conjure up the ghost of Samuel and God disowned Saul. Note: I don't believe it was really Samuel's ghost, but consulting a so-called medium is a sin in the Jewish and Christian religions.

There was the Ouija Board from when I was a lad. My mom never let me touch one of the things. I wouldn't touch one of them today.

No one lives a perfect life, but I learned that I should avoid every appearance of evil.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 am

Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:45 pm

One of Barney Fife's word staples, or was that the other guy?
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”