Virtual

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Virtual

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:17 pm

• virtual •

Pronunciation: vêr-chu-êl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Not actual, theoretical, potential or seeming, existing in effect, as 'the virtual length of an alligator is 20 feet.' 2. (Computer science) Made to seem to be by software, as 'virtual memory', memory created on the disk and not part of the computer's main memory. 3. Very near, not quite real, as 'Fudd is a virtual genius.'

Notes: Virtual has been so long misused as a synonym of near that most dictionaries recognize the new meaning so, go ahead, feel free to use it in this sense. The adverb virtually is used almost always as a synonym of almost. The noun is virtuality. We also have a verb, virtualize, meaning "to create a virtual situation via software", as for training purposes.

In Play: Remember, the original meaning of this word is "not actual, seeming": "The only contact Max has had with playing football is playing virtual football on line." It can also refer to something having the appearance of a real thing: "I once encountered a holographic virtual woman who met all my expectations and desires."

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed, via Old French, from Medieval Latin virtualis, from Latin virtus "excellence, goodness, courage, manliness". Virtus, the source of English virtue came from vir "man, male" with an adjective virilis, the source of English virile. Vir has an interesting history. The PIE word arrived in Old English as wer(e) "man", which went into the making of werewolf "wolf man". It also showed up in Old Germanic as werald "world", a compound noun comprising wer "man" + ald "old age". English kept the R for world, but German dropped it for Welt "world". (We offer real, not virtual gratitude to Debbie Moggio, a Lexiterian in the Alpha Agora.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Re: Virtual

Postby wurdpurrson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:19 pm

I've observed that some equate "virtual"with "actual"or "literal". Perhaps the word to them is associated with "verity" or "verisimilitude"? Any connection there?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Vir has an interesting history. The PIE word arrived in Old English as wer(e) "man", which went into the making of werewolf "wolf man".

Professor Snape explains this as well in Harry Potter.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:31 pm

I've observed that some equate "virtual"with "actual"or "literal".
Confuse would be a better word than equate. No relation here: virtual comes from the PIE word meaning "man, male" and verity and verisimilitude come from the PIE word wer- meaning "true".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:22 am

I've just encountered an expression based on the computer-related meaning of "virtual" that I think deserves wider distribution.

An author, about ten years ago, created an ebook, and now he wants to update it. But the current version of the software he used then no longer works. So he is left with what he calls a "virtual paperweight". How apt!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:24 pm

He can use it to hold down all his '.docs'.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:39 pm

Another good'un, Slava.
(I had to look at it twice to realize it didn't mean "doctors".)
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:50 pm

Quite surprised to see no reference to the virtual world and closely related A.I., especially after the ominous warning letter from tech titans like Musk and Wozniak. We have seen how virtual reality can be manipulated for propaganda purposes. This site badly needs a transfusion of engaged millennials and gen Xers to give a word like “virtual” its due. Where are you, younger generations!?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”