Prodigal

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Prodigal

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19 pm

• prodigal •

Pronunciation: prah-dê-gêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Recklessly extravagant, wastefully lavish. 2. Profuse, superabundant.

Notes: Today's Good Word is probably encountered most often in the crystallized phrase prodigal son for reasons provided in the Word History. It is not related to prodigious, which, like prodigy, derives from the Latin word for "portent, omen". The noun accompanying this adjective is prodigality and the adverb, prodigally.

In Play: The most common sense of today's word refers to living outside our means: "Owen Cash lived such a prodigal life after winning the lotto jackpot that he was broke again in five years." (He is spending a lot of time these days with Robin Banks.) However, this word also has a neutral sense referring simply to profuseness: "No one understood the prodigal praise heaped on Will Doolittle at his retirement party."

Word History: This word was borrowed from Middle French prodigal (currently prodigue), the legitimate descendant of late Latin prodigalis "lavish, wasteful". The Latin adjective arose from the verb prodigere "to drive away, to squander", made up of pro(d)- "for, forth, away" + agere "to lead, drive", also the root of agent. The shift in meaning is explained by the parable of the prodigal son in the Book of Luke in the New Testament. The prodigal son took his inheritance while his father was alive, left home and wasted it, only to return impoverished, begging forgiveness. (Today we are grateful to the prodigal mind of Colin Burt who suggested we run this Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Prodigal

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:41 pm

good word for 'thinking outside the box".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Although this is a great Goodword, I rarely see it used. The prodigal son is an outstanding Biblical example. I can think of only one Christian hymn with the word in it and I have a vast store of Christian hymns in my memory. As Luke suggests, let's think outside the box and find more uses for it. Right now, I am trying to restrain my dear wife's prodigal attitude about Christmas giving. What do you give to someone who wants and needs nothing? Try giving a fruitcake. That's not so prodigal. It can always be re-gifted.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Fruitcakes? I'll be glad to receive any regifts anyone
wants to send my way !
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:13 pm

I occasionally come across the word in reading in the excessive monetary outgo sense. But I wonder whether the word has picked up a connotation of a black sheep or wayward youth, obviously coming from the parable. I believe I have seen it more in that sense.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”