Jukebox

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Jukebox

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:48 pm

• jukebox •

Pronunciation: juk-bahks • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: An automatic record or CD player, decorated with a colorful display of flashing lights, that plays a song for a coin.

Notes: Today's word is based on an African word for "bad", juke, also found in juke joint, those roadside dives of the 30s and 40s that offered drinking and dancing to the driving public. The same word is also used as a verb, juke "to dance, to go out dancing". When I was growing up in the South, juking meant driving around in a car until you found a juke joint, had a few drinks, and danced away the night. Juke joints offered other pleasures, as well. At least, that is what I heard; decent young men like me avoided such places.

In Play: It is amazing that jukeboxes have not vanished from the face of the earth. Today, the computer, which can play music downloaded from the Internet, is a jukebox most of us can afford. Most clubs and cafes have adapted. Still, collectors of the traditional jukebox abound and there is a lively trade in them. New-fangled jukeboxes that play CDs are also being manufactured though, as much for their circussy light displays as their music.

Word History: This Good Word started out in the southern US, probably in the Gullah language of coastal South Carolina or Florida, where juke means "bad, wicked, disorderly". The word found its way into Gullah from a West African language like Wolof, where dzug means "to live wickedly". The word first attached itself to the juke joints (= naughty houses). The nickel-in-the-slot machines (as they were originally called) that provided dance music in juke joints soon picked up the shorter name, jukebox. It reflects the attitude of puritanical southern Christians, many of whom even today do not cotton much to dancing.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Jukebox

Postby Pattie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:22 am

Jukeboxes are all very well, but would someone please explain the origin of cotton as a verb?
PattieT

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:46 pm

yes, I'd be interested in that as well.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:37 am

The use of the word "cotton" as a description of liking someone or something is ancient indeed. William Congreave's 1965 comic play Love for Love has: "I love to see 'em hug and cotten together, like Down upon a Thistle." His reference to down on a thistle might help us understand that it is the idea of stick-to-itive-ness that makes the reference understandable. I grew up in the literal cotton patch and have always known this term.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:47 am

Jukeboxes were also called Nickelodeons. Teresa Brewer's "Put another nickel in" was a favorite in the 50s. Check it out at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUNZAmFfKA
Teresa played a prominent role in my adolescent dreams where she gave me personal performances of the song. :oops: :D

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:49 pm

I do remember her and that song, thanks for the memory.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Cotton as a verb.

In other words, they don't really know yet.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 pm

Etymonline.com may not know.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”