Yore

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Yore

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:22 am

• yore •

Pronunciation: yor • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Long ago, in the distant past.

Notes: Today's word never occurs except in the phrase of yore. Down in the southeastern US, your is pronounced yore. I'm sure in other dialect areas it is pronounced the same way. This word is common enough, but has no derivational relatives. Those who haven't used it themselves have certainly read it.

In Play: The most common phrase containing this word is 'in days of yore', but it may be used in many other phrases: "Now that she is 70 years old, the tattoos of yore covering her body are being distorted by her wrinkled skin." Do you remember the mobile phones of yore that looked and felt like bricks? Anything reminding us of the past is fair game for this word: "Watching the political hate-mongers in the US media makes me long for the civility of yore."

Word History: In Old English today's Good Word was geara "of years (past)", originally the genitive plural of gear "year" and akin to Dutch jaar and German Jahr "year". The Germanic words derived from Proto-Indo-European yer- "year, season", which emerged in Avestan as yare "year" and Greek hora "year, season", also "any part of a day, hour". The Greek word is visible in the English loan word horoscope, a way of seeing the year. French borrowed horos, converted it to houre, and passed it on to English as hour. The same PIE word showed up in Old Slavic jaru "summer", today Czech jaro "spring". In Latin the same PIE word became hornus "this year's" and Old Persian dušiyaram "famine", literally "bad year", comprising duši- "bad" + yaram "year".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Yore

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:53 am

Frequently the Goodword of the day reminds me of a song that uses the word. Here, for the Agora's enjoyment, is a lovely Irish offering, "Just a Song at Twilight." As with many songs I hold dear, "Me mither sang it tu-me when I was bu a wee bairn." [Please excuse the mix of dialects.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7arQ12Tz3S4
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:34 pm

:D
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks for the introduction to the Three Irish Tenors. I hadn't heard them before.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Dr. Goodword: The Three Irish Tenors are not the showmen that the Celtic Thunder performers are, but they are every bit as talented. I hope you like that music genre. While my Irish ancestry was composed of Quaker refugees from England to Ireland, I still like to identify myself with the Celts. Many of my friends in England identify themselves as Celts. In the 1700s there was more religious freedom in Catholic Ireland than there was in Protestant England.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Many thanks for the link to YouTube. I grew up with that song also, also sung to me by my Jewish mother, at the behest of our French-Canadian "uncle". The records in the house were controlled by my Irish grandfather.

It was a bitter sweet memory, and I found others in the same area of YouTube that I'd not heard for even longer...

Lovely. Thanks again.
Everything works out, one way or another

Return to “Good Word Discussion”