Primp

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Primp

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 pm

• primp •

Pronunciation: primp • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: Make minor grooming adjustments: hair, makeup, clothes, etc.; to spruce up, to preen.

Notes: Primpers This is an odd member of the English vocabulary that may be used as a verb or adjective. The adjective, however, has a discrete meaning: "prim, neat, especially affectedly so". We may use the present participles, primping, as an adjective (primping queen) or noun (a final primping). It is also odd in that it is pronounced exactly as it is spelled! Can you imagine that? In English.

In Play: Today's word usually appears in reference to a person: "Natalie Cladd spends more time primping and preening for a party than she does attending it." This word may also be used to refer to large bodies of people: "The whole city was in full primping mode for the Fourth of July festivities."

Word History: Primp is so close in sound and sense to prim that, even if we cannot explain the final P, we must conclude the two are related. Prim was once used as a noun referring to an attractive woman. It also performed the service of a verb in the sense of primp. We know that prim came from Old French prim "fine, delicate" inherited from Latin primus "first, finest". Latin inherited this word from PIE preis "before", which came from the ultimate root per "through, beyond". Preis, of course, went into the making of English first. English changed the unextended form, per, into for, forth, and fore, as in before, forefather, and foreground. (Faye Beard, my lovely wife, who primps only modestly, suggested today's pretty Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Primp

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:38 am

As in the example in In Play, I think of this word most often in company with preen. I don't think of them as tautological, though. Nor is the combination simply reduplication for emphasis. Preening goes a step too far in primping, and, at least to me, implies an exalted sense of ego.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:03 am

But Slava, a bird preens by smoothing out its feathers, restoring the connectivity between the individual vanes; that's what makes it possible to fly, and helps the feathers to shed water. I'd never call that "primping".

(Of course, when the feathers on my favorite hat get ratty, and I tidy them up, that indeed is primping.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:00 pm

I should add, then, that that opinion is in regards to human preening.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”