Feracious

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Feracious

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:09 pm

• feracious •

Pronunciation: fê-ray-shês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Fruitful, fertile, prolific, producing abundantly.

Notes: Here is a word seldom heard since the 19th century. Its rarity, no doubt, has something to do with its stark similarity to ferocious, a word with which it has nothing to do. It came with a noun, feracity which, again, barely made it up to the 18th century.

In Play: Today's contributor and I think this is another word deserving rescue. We can use it in sentences like this one: "The lowlands of Pennsylvania are feracious, supporting every type of flora and fauna, esculent or not." However, it may be used figuratively, too: "Sarah Belam is a woman with a feracious mind, teeming with plausible ideas."

Word History: Today's Good Word is based on Latin ferax (ferac-s) "fruitful, productive". This adjective is based on ferre "to bear, carry support", found in many English borrowings, such as fertile, transfer, refer, and so on. The root fer- was converted from Proto-Indo-European bher-/bhor- "carry, bear", origin of English bear in the sense of "carry, support". English birth and burden also descended from the same PIE root. English bring came via Proto-Germanic brengan from PIE bher- + enk- "to reach". Paraphernalia was borrowed from Greek paraphernalis "related to the parapherna", a woman's property beyond her dowry. This word is composed of para- "beyond" + pherne "dowry", a word inherited by Greek from the same PIE word, bher-. (We owe a debt of gratitude to the feracious mind of Luciano Eduardo de Oliveira, an editor of the Good Words, for contributing this word to the series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Feracious

Postby Pattie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 pm

I immediately thought of farinaceous as a similar word possibly easily confused with feracious; perhaps the connection resulted from Dr G's mention of the feracious lowlands of Pennsylvania - which, no doubt, are fecund with the raw materials to produce all manner of farinaceous goodies.
PattieT

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:21 pm

Hadn't met the word before, but until I read the definition, I would have confused it with iron: ferrous, ferrier, etc.
pl

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Perry, you refer to "ferrier". Is that an alternate to "farrier", one who shoes horses (as did the first sons in my birth-family until my father)?
Everything works out, one way or another

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 pm

I believe I've seen it spelled both ways. However, my memory has not always been known to be precise.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue May 24, 2016 12:41 pm

"Ferrier." Isn't that some brand of bubbly bottled water? :)

Just yesterday I read an article in the NYT about how mining for sand for hydraulic fracturing is destroying swathes of feracious farmland. Not using the word, though, just the fact.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Tue May 24, 2016 10:04 pm

Yes, but I think you've misspelled it. It is Pherrier, no? with a silent "h"?
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed May 25, 2016 6:11 am

Thank you, damoge, I stand corrected. I felt something was ophph, but couldn't put my phinger on it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”