Sententious

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sententious

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:44 pm

• sententious •

Pronunciation: sen-ten-chês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Terse, tidy, like a maxim or aphorism. 2. Pompous, full of aphorisms and maxims, i.e. pompous moralizing.

Notes: Today's Good Word is the adjective for the noun sentence. However, it is a 'contranym', a word that contains two contrary meanings, neither having much to do with the meaning of sentence: short and pithy or pompous and bloviated, to use another Good Word. Sententiousness is the noun and sententiously, the adverb. Remember that the CE in sentence become TI before the suffix -ous in the adjective.

In Play: Reporters in the electronic media are always looking for a sound bite from interviewees that is sententious in the positive sense, e.g. "We have the best Congress money can buy in Washington." Sententious speech in the second sense need not be wordy, just arrogant: "The very fact that he used few words and short sentences made his little speech sententious, as though he were talking down to us." The best places to look for sententiousness today are universities and the journals they publish: "His article was terribly sententious, full of 'he-who's', fatuous maxims, and the like."

Word History: Today's word is the adjective of a Latin noun, sententia "an opinion, judgment, an expressed sentiment", the original meaning of sentence. A sentence was an expressed opinion, especially a judicial opinion. However, already in the 17th century, a sentence tended to be limited to a decision on punishment, the only judicial sense it has today. Along the way, the sense of "opinion, sentiment" also drifted into the sense of "the words expressing an opinion or sentiment". This is how the two contemporary meanings split from a single one long ago.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Sententious

Postby George Kovac » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:02 am

A major catalyst in my passion for words... my fondness for the mot juste, the cultivation of sprachgefuhl, the delight in apprehending for the first time precise or unusual words ... was the course "Major British Poets, Chaucer to Eliot," which I took as a freshman in college. It is the oldest continuously taught course in the college. As the subtitle of the course at that time reveals, when I was enrolled the syllabus included poets who were not born until nearly two hundred years after the course originated.

With that sense of history, tradition and evolution, I was awed by what I discovered that formative year. Nearly half a century later, I still come back to something I read in the second week of the class, when Chaucer introduced me to the meaning of "sentence" which underlies today's good word... after all, what is literature if not the sharing of artful tales of "sentence and solace"?

Indulge me (and yourself) with this bijou from early modern English:

And which of yow that bereth him best of alle,
That is to seyn, that telleth in this cas
tales of best sentence and most solas,
shal have a soper at oure aller cost.
(Canterbury Tales, General Prologue 798 – 801)
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Return to “Good Word Discussion”