Debate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Debate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:43 pm

• debate •

Pronunciation: dee-bayt Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To engage in a formal argument (debate), usually involving two sides presenting opposing views. 2. To argue a point informally from different perspectives.

Notes: Today's Good Word is topical since the last of the US presidential debates takes place tonight. Secretary Clinton and Mr. Trump are the debaters this year. This noun has two adjectives, the now rarely used debative, and (un)debatable, as in, "It is debatable who will win tonight's debate, but undebatable that it will take place."

In Play: I discussed the difference between debate, argue, and quarrel in the Language Blog. There, I described a debate as a formal argument between two or more sides based on logic and fact. A quarrel, however, is an unreasonable and unreasoned match between two people whose minds can't be changed. The winner of a quarrel is decided by who screams loudest or who gives up and leaves. A debate, however, need not be between two people: "I'm debating (in my mind) whether to watch the debates; I'm afraid they will just confuse me more."

Word History: In Middle English this word was debaten from Old French debatre (débattre in Modern French), comprising de- "down, completely" + battre "to beat". English borrowed this form from French for our batter and battery "beating". The root of this word has been around for a long time. We see it in Old Russian bat "oak stick", Irish bat "cudgel, and in Sanskrit bátati "hit, beat". Latin must have borrowed it from a Germanic language, for the presumable Proto-Indo-European root it should have come from, bhat-, would have become fat- in Latin. Yet there it is, Latin battuere, which converted itself by Late Latin to battere.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Debate

Postby call_copse » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:57 am

Whoever wins the debate, at least it seems clear that the more 'post-factual' candidate seems to be on a collision course with an iceberg, in a similar manner to the Titanic. Whilst M. Clinton (like most of us) may dissemble on occasion, at least this demonstrates a relationship with and respect for truth. I fail to note the remotest mooring to fact from her opponent.

I'm not just here to promote my own, presumably somewhat flawed, opinions, upon the interminable and notably distasteful US election process ('just make it stop' is my preference). I'd like to point out the principal debate tactic of Donald Trump as it appears to me - the Gish Gallop.

http://blogs.bu.edu/pbokulic/2013/11/18 ... f-the-day/

I don't even know how you go about countering that kind of thing!
Iain

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am

Well, judging by November's results, one does not counter such an approach. :cry: :twisted: :evil: :x
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 am

Yes, I contemplated putting a packet on Putin's poodle prior to even the primaries, as I could see how it was panning out. Wish I had done, just to offset the negativity resulting from the outcome.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Discussion”