Sleuth

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sleuth

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:19 pm

• sleuth •

Pronunciation: sluthHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A detective. 2. A tracking dog.

Notes: This word has little family. The word sleuth-hound referring to a tracking dog is still around and still used figuratively to refer to a detective. The word itself may be used as an intransitive verb, as we might sleuth around looking for something. This allows for a noun, sleuthing, but not much more.

In Play: A sleuth may be a detective on the police force or a private eye (from private i[nvestigator]): "Sturgis hired a sleuth by the name of Jason Sanborn to track down his runaway purebred bloodhound." However, anyone who does any kind of detective work qualifies for this title: "Dr. Goodword says that etymologists are word sleuths who track down the histories of words."

Word History: Sleuth is a reduction (clipping) of sleuthhound "tracking dog", another lexical gift of the Vikings during their persistent visits to the English coast from the 9th to the 11th centuries. It was originally something like slóðhund, from slóð "trail, track" + hund "dog". The English converted this word to slothhound (hund and hound share the same source), while the Scots made sloth, sleuth. We find words sharing the same origin in the Slavic languages, too. Russian sled "trail, track" underlies sledovat' "to follow". Similar words are found in other Slavic languages. (We owe a word of gratitude to Jackie Strauss, a top-notch word sleuth, for tracking down today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Sleuth

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Could sleuthily work as an adverb?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Sleuth

Postby damoge » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Doc, would it be possible to record the Viking word? I can't begin to "hear" what it sounds like from the spelling as I don't ever remember even seeing those indications before, let alone knowing what sounds they represent. (oh dear. If only I could remember the word for those thingies!)
Everything works out, one way or another

Return to “Good Word Discussion”