Snollygoster

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Snollygoster

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:54 pm

• snollygoster •

Pronunciation: snah-li-gah-stêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Snollygoster or snallygaster was originally the name of a monster that preyed on poultry and children—an odd combination to be sure. Today, however, it more often indicates a rotten person who is driven by greed and self-interest. I do have reports from New England, however, that this word is used in some areas up there to refer to terrible storms that hit the Eastern Seaboard. For sure this word always refers to something nasty.

Notes: There are no relatives of this word. The two spellings might reflect the possibility of both O and A representing the sound [ah]. This would make sense since snallygaster would have been the earlier spelling, when most Americans spoke with British accents. As US English developed, we would expect the spelling to change to snollygoster, which seems to have been the case.

In Play: I like this word as a term for a horrible storm but that sense seems to be narrowly limited to a small region in the US. More generally it refers to an amoral man: "That old snollygoster who runs this company just cut our lunch hour down to 20 minutes!" In the US those of us who use this word tend to focus it on ruthless politicians: "Those who complain about politicians today should recall the real snollygosters like New York's Boss Tweed back in the 19th century."

Word History: We only know for sure that snollygoster is a US dialectal creation that might possibly have come from Pennsylvania Dutch (German) schnelle geeschter "fast spirits, ghosts". This phrase is the equivalent of German schnelle Geister with the same meaning. German Geist "spirit, ghost" is a cousin of English ghost, and is found in two English borrowings from German, poltergeist "noisy ghost" and zeitgeist "spirit of the times." But this stem is rarely found outside the Germanic languages; it is like, well, a ghost of a word.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Snollygoster

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm

This word is also part of the title of a great book my brother gave me a few years ago: Snollygosters, Airheads & Wimps. Give it a perusal if you get a chance.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:48 pm

I'm torn over what epithet to apply to the several "Democrats" in my city that ran on the Republican ticket. After not getting endorsed by the Democratic side, they were by the Republicans. Are they this word, or mugwumps?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:17 pm

I'd say they answered it for you, Slava.
They are Republicans.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 pm

As I grew up in Baltimore, my older sister teased me with tales of the Snallygaster that allegedly inhabited Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. The Snallygaster is indeed a creature of Maryland folklore (see "The Unsettling Legend of Maryland’s Native Cryptid, the Snallygaster" at https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/w ... allygaster) but I can't find any confirmation that it lived in the lake; instead, a mountain or cave dwelling was more likely. Whichever, it was a creature that one didn't really want to meet.

It's only more recently that the name became associated with unscrupulous individuals, but they're still creatures that one would rather avoid.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 pm

Actually, snallygaster came about quite some time after snollygoster. Merriam-Webster even has a whole page about it: Here.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”