Civility

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Civility

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:10 pm

• civility •

Pronunciation: sê-vil-i-ti • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (No plural)

Meaning: 1. Politeness, courteous behavior. 2. An act of politeness or courtesy.

Notes: This word, of course, derives from the adjective civil, which has two meanings besides "polite, courteous": "between or otherwise related to citizens" and "that aspect of the legal system that deals with disputes or ceremonies not involving crime". This adjective also comes with an adverb, civilly. We are free to use civilish "somewhat civil", if we wish.

In Play: A letter of mine was published last year in the Sunbury Daily Item on this subject: "The U.S. airwaves are filled with the opinions of hate- and fear-mongers, but Downton Abbey offers a respite of civility amidst all the anger and hatred." One of the problems with the U.S. political system is a dearth of civility. There is no problem anger solves.

Word History: Today's Good Word ultimately evolved from Latin civilis "related to citizens", from civis "citizen, city-dweller", a resident of the urbs "city". Latin inherited this word from PIE kei- "to lie; a bed; homestead". Another Latin word based on this root is civitas "citizenship", which lost its V on the way to French cité "city(-state)", which English borrowed as city. Cemetery is built upon this same root. It emerged in Greek koimeterion "sleeping place, dormitory", from koiman "to put to sleep". In Latin this same word emerged as coemeterium "cemetery", which wiggled its way down to French cimetiere , where it was borrowed by English. (Now we thank Diana Brinsko, the PR Goddess in the Alpha Agora, for valuing civility enough to suggest its name for today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Civility

Postby George Kovac » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:14 pm

I think few native English speakers would make an immediate connection between “civility,” “citizen” and “city.” Thank you Diana Brinsko and Dr. Goodward for making us aware that those three concepts are linked—and that there is much to consider in those relationships. In particular, I am fascinated that the term “citizen” arose in reference to residents of a city. There was (and is) something special about cities as engines of culture and engagement that is captured in this etymology.

The modern concept of citizenship (in English) bears no ties to cities. In political terms today, some residents of rural areas, arrogant in their formal status as citizens, are resentful of cities because they characterize cities as havens for folks who are not citizens. Today “citizen,” in English usage at least, connotes “nationality” (and even “ethnicity”) and is often used to distinguish and disparage those who do not share one’s citizenship: which is rather uncivil behavior.

The family connections of a particular word—the divergent, consonant and sometimes antithetical meanings which a word acquires over time and across cultures—fascinates me. That process is more apparent in a place like Miami, a multilingual city, where the trajectory of a word is not the same in all the languages commonly used hereabouts. I frequently see signs (in Spanish) advertising English lessons or classes in “ciudadanía” (citizenship). So in Spanish the link between “city” (ciudad) and “citizenship” (ciudadanía) remains obvious. And, as a proud resident of my adopted city, I like to think we citizens of the city of Miami manage all this creative chaos quite civilly. Todos somos ciudadanos. E pluribus, unum.

And with that reference to Latin, I want to mention that I was born in Chicago (one of the most civil cities in America) and spent most of my life there. On an apartment building on Sheffield Avenue, overlooking the right field bleachers of Wrigley Field, there is a sign that reads “EAMUS CATULI,” a Latin phrase which translates idiomatically as “Let’s Go Cubs!” Indeed. 108 years was a long wait. For the immediate future, the whole world is welcome to be citizens of Chicago.
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Some say the city/country thing goes all the way back to Biblical days. Those scholars feel the classic prophets were wanting to impose rural ethics on city slickers. Amos, e.g. claims he is not a prophet, but a pruner of sycamore trees. Among other things, he proceeds to call the wives of the country club set "a bunch of drunken heifers!" (For the literalists among us, "kine of Bashan."
pl

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:40 pm

Also, it was only about a year ago, I read that Italy only began to merge into a nation from city states in the 19th century. I began paying attention, and that seems to applyy to most of Europe. Compare to the tribsl thinking in the Middle East. I suspect very few Iraqis think of Iraq as a country.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”