querulant

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

querulant

Postby Pattie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello, Dr G, I would like to share this excellent new (to me) word which I came across in the course of my work this week - not a frequent occurrence since I am a Hansard (like the Congressional Record) editor charged with rendering the utterances of politicians into recognisable English. This word was used during the course of some deliberations this week (used absolutely correctly, too, I might add) and I was impressed! Its meaning, as I'm sure you would know, is: one who obsessively feels wronged, particularly about minor causes of action; a serial complainer to authorities; a vexatious litigant.
PattieT

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: querulant

Postby George Kovac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Pattie,

Thank you for one of the finest new "good words" ever. I discovered that it is a term of art in both law and psychology. It certainly deserves wider use. It joins the set of words which includes "captious," "Jesuitical," sophist" and "cavil" to describe a certain kind of irritating person.

I could not find a pronunciation on line. Do you know how to properly say the word? In particular, is kwehr-yoo-lent vs. kwehr-oo- lent preferred?
"Every battle of ideas is fought on the terrain of language." Zia Haider Rahman, New York Times 4/8/2016

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:42 pm

I think - think - the yoo or oo is actually a schwa, barely pronounced.

Isn't the word related to query?
pl

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pattie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 pm

I would go with kwer oo lent.
PattieT

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pattie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

With, as Perry says, the oo sound barely there: kwer uh lent. As with querulous.
PattieT

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 am

one who obsessively feels wronged, particularly about minor causes of action; a serial complainer to authorities; a vexatious litigant.
One who thinks it's always someone else's fault, e.g. the media, leakers, etc. A querulent gnat pretending to be an elephant.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”