Welcome to our new Agora

The Alpha Agora will be a permanent home for discussions of words and language.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:56 am

I amn't a polyglot like my Swedish nemesis, Henri, or my other friends like Flam, BD, Apo, Dr. Goodword, and many of the other 200 or so Lexitarians here, but I am opinionated at times. :) Just another friendly "Ugly American." :lol:

... :D
Larry's always whacking me with his big words - in this particular case, I am at a loss to know whether he considers me more as «an undefeatable archenemy, an unconquerable opponent» or «a danger or threat to well-being», or both. But in the end I allow myself to be reassured by his choosing to use the adjective in the phrase «my other friends». Let us hope that, despite our sometimes widely divergent points of view, we can remain just that, «friends», who make use of this forum in the never-ending attempt to better understand ourselves and each other. I hope these sentiments are not inappropriate to the Season, however it be called....

Henri
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

Whoowee- sure glad I found this site

Postby mamawsandy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:54 am

Hi yall. I am a true southern gal and mighty proud of it. I talk without thinking about the way I talk. I just love the southern accent. But I am from SE Tennessee, so I don't have the deep south accent. My friends call me Southern Belle. These are my internet friends. When I first talk to one of them on the phone, they start laughing. I know what they are laughing about, so I pour it on thick and heavy.
I am a retired English teacher. I know the proper way to speak without the southern dialect, but it is so much more fun to use the southern. When I write, I will sometimes use the southern sound in spelling. Well, Mark Twain did it with success. I am a writer among many other roles. I am left-handed and right-brained, so anything creative is my bag. Well, y'all, guess I'll be aseeing youins on this here board from time to time. mamawsandy :D
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:40 pm

I just love the southern accent.
I won't be the first to admit that I have fallen for the southern accent of Tennessee, I am sure there are many a gal who has swooned at the sound and the phrases of a man from Tennessee. {Sighs} I remember when.... well, that's a story for another time. As I am from Canada, hearing the different American accents is quite intoxicating. :lol:

Welcome mamawsandy!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:27 am

Welcome to the Agora, mamawsandy, with or without accent !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Whoowee- sure glad I found this site

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:16 am

Hi yall. I am a true southern gal and mighty proud of it. I talk without thinking about the way I talk. I just love the southern accent. But I am from SE Tennessee, so I don't have the deep south accent. . . . mamawsandy :D
I,too, bid you welcome, 'Sandy! I, too, was born below the Mason-Dixon line, in Warshington, DC (Spelled as pronounced by a native), live outside 'Nappolis, MD (home of the Naval Academy), and work in Balmer (or Bawlamer) MD. I have a brother who migrated to New York State many, many years ago who now sounds like he's been there all his life, and another brother who moved first to Newport News, VA, then to Greenville, TN, and finally back to Gold Hill, NC, a bit North of Charlotte. He picked up a good drawl in Newport News, partly from our late uncle, a Virginia native from the Northern Neck on the Rappahannock, and partly from all those Carolinians commuting to the Shipyard where he worked. He's a slow and laid-back talker, the exact opposite of the now New York brother. They were like that before they moved, but their accents accent the difference. :)

I will tell you that I found those Damn Yankee accents in Massachusetts hard to understand sometimes while I was in college long ago. But that's another story . . .

Again, Welcome Aboard!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Me too, star...
and I am pleased you are still here and did not disappear
in the '05-'06 Apocalypse.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat May 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Fascinating to come across an old original thread. Everyone seems to be happy they came from an old Agora and rejoined here. Since I have a historical component to my makeup, I wonder whetheer Dr G or someone else could post a brief history of previous site(s) and the development of this one. Sometime last year someone also referred to a great falling away some years ago because the rules were too tight. I wonder whether that referred to the old Agora or an episode in this site's history. I've been on here three or four years and found it open and rambling. I could only wish we could double or triple the number of frequent posters. I miss those that drop out, but I suspect that's just life.
pl

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Re: Welcome to our new Agora

Postby Audiendus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Perry Lassiter,

I joined the old Agora (the YourDictionary forum) in 2008, some time after Dr G left it, so I don't know anything about the early days. It was still quite a lively forum when I was there, but it closed in January 2010 as it was apparently unable to cope with the large amount of spam it received. Several of us then moved to the Alpha Agora, including the two most prolific contributors during my time, LukeJavan8 and saparris.

I have fond memories of the old forum. It had some erudite linguists, but there was also a bunch of college classmates who just used it to chat to each other. (Some of the latter joined the Alpha Agora but disappeared after just a few posts.)

I hope this fills in a few details for you!

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks, that solves some questions for me. Poor Luke after all that history still doesn't seem able to climb back aboard after the "upgrade."
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 am

I was a
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “WELCOME HOME!”