Warsh?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue May 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Absolutely not. He thinks he's always right as it is!
but that's the nature of the beast.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

april61
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Worsh - Wisconsin!

Postby april61 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:54 pm

I posted earlier that I grew up in Iowa (in the land of little Germany, as my husband calls it) and generations have pronounced it "worsh".
I think it may have somethin' to do with German ancestry... I've always wondered why my mom said "warsh." I think my dad's dad might have said it, too. Both were from German immigrants.

Grampa on dad's side also said, "crick." And probly a host of other localisms that I'm not remembering.

This is a fun board!

In grace,
april
I'm from Wiscahhhhnsin, where our German ancestors warshed their close out in the crick...

april61
Junior Lexiterian

"woish"

Postby april61 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:46 pm

No, wait! My mom doesn't say "worsh." She says "woish," with the vowel as in joy. My kids reminded me of this slight variation, which invariably causes them to snicker.

My dh agrees--he knows lots of people who say "worsh" around here. I wonder if instead of an ethnic peculiarity, it could be a generational thing. Was there some tv or radio program mid-twentieth century that used the word? Lyrics in a musical, perhaps?

Oh well, time to woish some dishes.

april
I'm from Wiscahhhhnsin, where our German ancestors warshed their close out in the crick...

gleedgirl
Junior Lexiterian

Postby gleedgirl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:28 pm

Well, I grew up in central Warshington, way back when. There is an 'r' there. People there still use it. Those around Seattle (Puget Sound) use the Wahshington. Sort of like they are from the other coast? 8)
gleedgirl

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 am

Hey, gleedgirl, I was a Selah boy during the mid 70s (Medical Lake before that) , and we figured if we heard someone say "Warshington" they were from somewhere else!
...and you're right! I caught your "local" joke! Seattle is like from the other coast!

j.kipper
Junior Lexiterian

Postby j.kipper » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Here in Missouri there seem to a whole lot of people (including many of my relatives) that pronounce it "warsh" somewhere between "war" and "wore". I have always pronounced it wash, probably from not living all over the country and outside as well. When I lived in Middletown, Maryland, I never heard anyone other than those from West Virginia pronounce it as warsh.

By the way, I end Missouri with the "ah" when it precedes a consonant and "e" when it precedes a vowell. My wife insists it should NEVER have the "ah" at the end.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:27 am

Here in Missouri there seem to a whole lot of people (including many of my relatives) that pronounce it "warsh" somewhere between "war" and "wore". I have always pronounced it wash, probably from not living all over the country and outside as well. When I lived in Middletown, Maryland, I never heard anyone other than those from West Virginia pronounce it as warsh.

By the way, I end Missouri with the "ah" when it precedes a consonant and "e" when it precedes a vowell. My wife insists it should NEVER have the "ah" at the end.
J, I'm with your wife. (Phonetically I mean!)

It's another of the fascinating facets of language that we can apply such variations to different circumstances without conscious analysis- reminds me of how some (e.g. NYC and UK) can insert an "R" between words that end/begin in vowels.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:30 am

J, I'm with your wife. (Phonetically I mean!)
Good thing you clarified that point. :oops:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

txmusicgirl
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Warsh

Postby txmusicgirl » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:30 pm

Where I come from in SouthTexas a significant number of the older peopel pronouncee the word "wash" with a long o and an r as "worsh".
Thats how I say it
I spent all mornin worsh'n clothes.

kibbles
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Warsh-Ohio River Valley

Postby kibbles » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi, new here. I have been a truck driver for some time and can often pick out dialects. Warsh for the most part shows up in people that were raised or influenced by those raised in the Ohio River Valley.

I'm new too, and just HAD to join to post on this pronounciation.
I think Maygen has a good point. Here in Ohio some of the older people, especially in the Southern part of the state, say "worsh" and "Worshington". Rhyming with "porch". I always thought it sounded weird, but then my parents were from the Dakotas...where they say "aunt" as "awwwnt". :)
Accents are so funny.

kadoodle76
Junior Lexiterian

Postby kadoodle76 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:25 am

my mommas friend (who is from philly) always warshes with wooter. I dont get it. My mom used to get mad when her husband called her Linder (linda) she insist he show her where the 'R" is in her name. He's a new yorker

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 pm

my mommas friend (who is from philly) always warshes with wooter. I dont get it. My mom used to get mad when her husband called her Linder (linda) she insist he show her where the 'R" is in her name. He's a new yorker
Well then, obviously you can take the New Yorker out of New York, but you cannot take the R out of New York. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51 am

Wooter (or maybe wudder is closer) is just what we're made of in Southeast Pennsylvania, errybody knows 'at. But warsh is from off to the west, you know, that other state- Pittsburgh.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

jacobcak545
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Warsh?

Postby jacobcak545 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Curry Shoes
Red Bottoms
Red Bottoms Shoes
Pandora Jewelry
Nike Outlet Online
Pandora Jewelry
Yeezy
Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men
Air Jordan 4
Pandora Charms
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora Bracelet
Air Jordan 9
Goyard Handbags
Pandora Charms
Pandora Canada Jewelry
Nike Huarache
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora Outlet
Soccer Shoes
Fitflops Sale Clearance
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
Kyrie Shoes
Valentino Sandals
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora Charms
Nike Air Force
Jordan Shoes
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora
Pandora Charms
Louboutin shoes
Ferragamo Outlet
Moncler Outlet Online
Pandora Charms
Jordan Shoes
ECCO Shoes
Nike Air Force One
Air Jordan
Nike Outlet Store
Goyard Handbags
Balenciaga
Ferragamo
Pandora Charm
Jordan Shoes
Pandora Canada
Yeezy
Jordan 11
Yeezy Boost 350
Red Bottom Shoes
Adidas Yeezy
Pandora Rings Official Site
Jordan 14
Christian Louboutin Shoes
Yeezys
Harden vol 1
Pandora Jewelry
Adidas NMD R1
Pandora Outlet
Nike Vapor Max
Jordan Sneakers
Jordan Retro
Pandora
Air Jordan
James Harden Shoes
Fitflop Shoes
Pandora
Jordan 11 Win Like 96
Yeezys Shoes
Pandora Jewelry
Moncler Jackets
New Jordans 2018
Yeezy
Jordan Retro 11
Nike Clearance
Jordan 10
Jordans 2019
Jordan 11 Red
Pandora
Nike Outlet Store Online Shopping
Air Jordan Sneakers
Jordan 11 Space Jam
Balenciaga
Hermes Birkin Bag
Jordan 11 Low
Adidas NMD
Fitflop
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora Charms
Jordan 12
Pandora Jewelry
Kanken Backpack
Ferragamo Belt
Triple S Balenciaga
Nike Shoes
Air Max 95
Air Jordans
Pandora Bracelet
Pandora Charms
Jordan 8
Pandora
Air Max 90
Pandora Bracelets Clearance
Jordans Retro
Jordan 11
Pandora
Pandora Charms Outlet
Pandora Ring
Pandora Jewelry
Pandora Charms
Pandora
Nike Air Max 2018
Nike Air Max
Pandora Jewelry Official Site
Nike Air Max 98
Moncler Jacket
Pandora Bracelets
Pandora Charms
Nike Air Max 270
Nike Shoes

wordlady1
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Warsh?

Postby wordlady1 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:06 am

In Baltimore, where I'm from, we have a lingo called Baltimorese, or as they pronounce it, "Ballamorese." My grandmother when she was doing laundry would say she was going to do the "warsh." She would also "wrinch off the dishes in the zinc." More: "Ballamore, Murlin, is right next door to Warshinton, D.C." "It's so hot you could fry an egg on the payment." "My car needs new taurs and an ul change." And a diphthong o: "If you don't stop, I'm gonna call the poelice." Going to the beach: "I'm going downa shore." And my favorite, when I'm going to visit you: "I'll see you over the house."

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”