water...

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
brickredstar
Junior Lexiterian

water...

Postby brickredstar » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:58 am

most everyone i know pronounces water kind of like "wahter" but my mother and grandmother say "wutter". anyone else hear people say it that way?

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:10 am

All I can say is, "Save water, drink beer."

Welcome, brickredstar!

Barbara Fuller
Junior Lexiterian

Wutter

Postby Barbara Fuller » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:46 pm

The pronunciation of water as wutter appears to be exclusive to the Delaware, Philadelphia/South Jersey region.
I'm sure I used to say it that way until I moved to the south 26 years ago!

mchugh
Junior Lexiterian

wutter

Postby mchugh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:59 pm

My family started in King of Prussia, outside of Philly where you did you woorsh with wutter. We moved to northern PA and weren't allowed to go to the wutter fountain in school....we had to ask for the WAH-ter fountain.
Meg

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

We drank Wawduh

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:14 pm

Where I come from, the old aristocracy calls H20 "wawduh". Most other folks say, "worder."

This is a word that has a great deal of regional variation and one we should consider for the next reincarnation of the test.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Snappy
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Snappy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:18 pm

I grew up in south Jersey and to this day still say "Wudder" or "Wutter" depending on who hears me say it! :D

I have learned that living in the mid-west I just ask for H2O instead at a restaurant...it is easier!! :wink:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Wudder we talkin' about

Postby sluggo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:43 pm

We too said "wudder" in SE PA. I only scrubbed this habit upon enrolling in a broadcasting school where they ironed out our accents and in the process pointed such things out (seems to go along with 'color', pronounced "KYUH-ler").

This would be homonymous to that standard Fluffya (Philadelphia) greeting between strangers, "Wutter you lookin' at??"

But I suspect our King of Prussia neighbor must have had Pittsburgh blood in the family- no one around our area ever did a "warsh". Either that or King of Prussia must be further west than the map indicates :wink:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”