How do YOU say "sauna"?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:27 am

. . .
As for Iraq + Iran = Irate, it reminds me of the plan to combine Dallas and Fort Worth into a single urban entity; what would they call it? "Worthless!" :wink: [duck]
I like that one, although spelling it Worthlas would be an even better audio-visual pun. I'll have to remember that one the next time I have to take a Texan down a notch or two. :wink:
Actually I had it that way originally and it didn't look quite as ..hm... effective. It does go better as a spoken joke. Proudly stolen from the Asylum Street Spankers (from Austin).

Another Texan told me how in 1960 when Alaska was becoming a state and Texans were moaning about no longer being the biggest, Alaskans just said, "you boys just pipe down or we'll cut Alaska in two and make you the third largest state". But we digress...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

Soft Southern sounds

Postby mamawsandy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Ranger, I blush at the kindness you have shown me. You are indeed a young man of wisdom who will one day teach others.

Now, for the southern dialect: ***
I have never studied the origion of this language. Had too much time tied up in Latin. But, I am gonna make a guess. Since most people had slaves in the early pre-civil war days, I am quite sure that the non- black ones just took the dialect of the black community.

Another theory is that in the hot days of summer, those that could spent lots of time in leisure. Slow to speak. The land owners and others took pride in their southern dialect.
Even today, if you visit one of the true southern states, you will hear this soft southern sound. And in the tour homes, they will wear period clothing.
Sorry I could not be more help. I am now going to study a bit about this. I also want to study the early Scots/Irish who moved into this area.
I wish each of the members here could hear the actual sound of a true southern lady.
Still a Steel Magnolia
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:41 am

If you ask all of the snobs headed to the local club or gym...it's "saw-nuh". Ask a gal who has a little SISU in her...it's "sow-eh-nuh". I also know that it is more important to carry along a few birch sprigs than to remember your towel. To each her own.

Ranger
Junior Lexiterian

Saunas & Sisu

Postby Ranger » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:02 am

Ah, sisu! Maybe that's what keeps the sauna discussion going, too. Our family didn't maintain the birch sprig traditions, but my grandparents always kept large sea sponges on hand for good back scrubbing. Of course that requires having a partner sitting next to you on "ta pench."

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:57 pm

Ever hear of vodka on the rocks Finnish style? Yep, splash those stones with some FINLANDIA and breathe.... So much for cleansing the body of all impurities! With family traditions like that, it's a miracle I was ever born.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:09 am

Ever hear of vodka on the rocks Finnish style? Yep, splash those stones with some FINLANDIA and breathe.... So much for cleansing the body of all impurities! With family traditions like that, it's a miracle I was ever born.
Then again, that Finlandia could be why you were born . . .

A college roommate disclosed that he was conceived after a St. Patrick's Day party. He was born December 8. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:17 am

. . . Another Texan told me how in 1960 when Alaska was becoming a state and Texans were moaning about no longer being the biggest, Alaskans just said, "you boys just pipe down or we'll cut Alaska in two and make you the third largest state". But we digress...
And another joke from that era:
Q: How do you bury a 6' 3" Texan? (That's 1.905 meters for the rest of y'all :) )

A: Give him an enema and bury him in a shoebox!
But I really did like the Dallas restaurant Mercado Juarez (I think that was the name). It was the first and so far only time I had fahitas cabrito. I just haven't found it on the menu up here.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”