baby cats

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
nurseshark
Junior Lexiterian

baby cats

Postby nurseshark » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:21 pm

here is something to add for the next yankee/southerner dialect test..

what do you call a baby cat?
kidden (not sure where from, but i've heard it)
keh-ehn (connecticut)
kiten (how we said it in virginia)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:41 am

I would just call them small allergens; but that's just me.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:17 pm

kitten (mainstream); kitty (you think it's cute); varmint (it lives in your house).
-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:25 am

. . . varmint (it lives in your house).
-gailr
Kitten.

When it matures:

"Son of a . . ." (it raids your bird feeder [sometimes preceded by a modifying phrase describing its relationship with The Almighty or its relationship to its feminine parent]).

Lucky Son of a . . . (the roommate's tomcat, Grey Mouser, who somehow miraculously escaped with all nine of his lives after he "marked" an early-1900's volume of one of Mark Twain's works from a set of mine in an effort to attract the attentions of his cohabitor, Cheshire Cat; all the more ironic in that Twain liked cats more than dogs.)

//Larry,
Who, when working summers as a Good Humor Man lo these many years ago and approached at one stop by a young girl, who, bearing a basket of kittens, asked, "Do you like cats?", replied to the young girl, "Oh, I love cats; fried in butter with ketchup and horseradish sauce they're delicious!", which elicited the response, "Ew, you're mean!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:19 pm

Who, when working summers as a Good Humor Man lo these many years ago and approached at one stop by a young girl, who, bearing a basket of kittens, asked, "Do you like cats?", replied to the young girl, "Oh, I love cats; fried in butter with ketchup and horseradish sauce they're delicious!", which elicited the response, "Ew, you're mean!"
I once did a retail window featuring stacks of 101 Uses for a Dead Cat, Kliban's Cats, Garfield titles, and a herd of plush Garfields. I had them tied to model railroad tracks, smoking 'cigarettes' blindfolded, wearing a 'noose' attached to a branch, etc. Not quite 101, yet still plenty of ways to go dramatically. It was a masterpiece of creativity, taste and comedy. People who knew that I did the windows and am an ailurophile (it was a very small town, after all) came freakishly unglued. But it garnered a great deal of attention...too bad I didn't have your recipe, I could have included one in a skillet.
-gailr

Don 1
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Don 1 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 am

I'm with you Stargazer! Used several expletives after one found the only puddle in the city and chose to put tracks all over my freshly waxed car!
Did you ever try one deep fried?
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime. Mark Twain- Notebook, 1895

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:04 am

I'm with you Stargazer! Used several expletives after one found the only puddle in the city and chose to put tracks all over my freshly waxed car!
Did you ever try one deep fried?
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime. Mark Twain- Notebook, 1895
My wife's cousins in the Pittsburgh area had to pound on the hoods of their cars before starting them because their cats would nap up on the warm engine block during cold weather.

I really do like cats, I'm just allergic to them but not to dogs, and I feel that hunting over a baited field (a bird feeder) is not sporting.

I like that Twain quote! :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”