Has anyone out there ever heard of a 6 foot wedge?

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:44 pm

But what are they calling wedges in MO.?

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:48 pm

So it's just another name for a sub. Figures. As if we need another name for that...

But seriously, the only item I ever order at Firehouse Subs is their Meatball Sub... excellent!

-Tim

formeryank
Junior Lexiterian

Postby formeryank » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:21 pm

They call them SUBS here too. They also refer to soda as pop. If something needs to be done such as:

the grass needs to be mowed, the Mo. translation would be
the grass needs mowed or the house needs painted and so on. It took me a while to get used to this. Oh and don't let me forget my all time favorite.."now that's a good ideal" instead of idea.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:52 pm

. . . Oh and don't let me forget my all time favorite.."now that's a good ideal" instead of idea.
Tsk, tsk. Everyone knows is should be pronounced " a good eye deer." At least in the Bawlamer-Warshington area . . . :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:25 pm

All of wedge reminds me there is a parallel wedgethread started recently, wedged in with INsurance, the shore, package stores etc.

So about this awedged sandwich- is it made any differently from the sub/hero/hoagie type? I keep thinking about the Subway chain and how some years ago they would cut a V-shaped wedge out of the roll's top, and when I would ask them to just do a normal straight cut they were trained to look at me like I was speaking Aramaic. Eventually they gave up the wedgecut (designed, I have no doubt, to spend less ingredient on the sub/hoagie/hero and thus save the company 6.8 cents) and now do it like normal people.

Or is this unrelated? Wedge one of you wedgeaters can elucidate?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

swinglish,anyone?
Junior Lexiterian

Postby swinglish,anyone? » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:31 pm

A meatball wedge, meatball hero and a meatball sub are identical to the eye. Of course, tastebuds put all of these sandwiches to the real test! Hmmm... I hadn't gotten around to giving any thought to the origins of the "wedge" name. Perhaps wedges (particularly the meatball variety) once were cut with the "V" slice you mention. It certainly would have made things easier on the wedge preparer to fill each half of the bread with ingredients and then do the V slice, spilling or squirting nothing! Come to think of it, my father would usually order a sausage and pepper wedge that was cut differently than any cold sandwich counterparts. Perhaps the V slice wedging technique parted the sandwich down the middle while preventing hot ingredients from oozing out on to the unsuspecting, hungry eater! ( Think of how hand rolls are made in Sushi bars...that angle DOES keep all of the ingredients under wraps.) Thanks for introducing some more food for thought!

"Food for thought"...now where did THAT originate? Must go to idioms....[/code]

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:57 pm

This string started with some comments on processed meats and cheese, and has now grown to 2 pages. Obviously the meat was the 'thin end of the wedge'. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Mama
Junior Lexiterian

A wedgie

Postby Mama » Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 am

Here in Imperial, PA (a suburb of Pittsburgh), there is a restaurant called Angelia's, that sells a wedgie (sandwich). It is not a meatball thing, but more like a calzone. I have ordered a veggie wedgie before, and it's quite good, although sloppy. So you actually COULD get cutesy and order a wedgie. HAHAHA

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”