Advanced Rebel-Yankee Test

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:46 pm

. . .
number 8 (can't keep the format or I get an emoticon guy in sunglasses) . . .
A common occurance. Listen to the Voice of Experience: stick in a space after the "8."

8 ) 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:33 am

. . .
number 8 (can't keep the format or I get an emoticon guy in sunglasses) . . .
A common occurance. Listen to the Voice of Experience: stick in a space after the "8."

8 ) 8)
Thanks SG. Of curse I trust your experience.

So you actually went South on #2 (whether that means up or down is too loaded a question). I thought the trend was the other way, based on Gail, Bailey and mysailf.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Huny to pick up on my riff on her little typo...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:39 am

...as befits a native Warshintonian (DC, not that big state in the Northwest US; NW is one of the four geographical sections of DC).
Speaking of DC-I stopped to stay the night once at the Holiday Inn Select there in DC on my way to New Rochelle, NY. Man, was it ever hard for me to navigate those streets! :x I had a BIG problem with C street for some reason. There seemed to be more that one part of it. Kinda like one half was on one side of the city and the other half was on the other side of the city. The next time I went, I flew American. That was on september 4th of 2001. Needless to say, that was the last time I went to NY. :cry:
Last edited by Huny on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 am

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for Huny to pick up on my riff on her little typo...
Say what? :? Oh, did I have too many to's to make the sentence right? Was that it?
Last edited by Huny on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:51 am

So you actually went South on #2 (whether that means up or down is too loaded a question). I thought the trend was the other way, based on Gail, Bailey and mysailf.

"mysailf" ??

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:50 am

"mysailf" ??
Mebbe he means mah-sailf.
-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:41 am

[quote="skinem"]Control? Don't you know it takes more faith to eat in a restaurant than it does to believe in God?
quote]
WOW, so true, I worked in a restaurant once where they recycled??????? the "butter" no one touched" Nasty! I couldn't stand the thought of people talking over and spitting in that butter and then reserving it! I noted also that the kitchen appeared grungy.

mark prefers to eat at home.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:36 pm

"mysailf" ??
no no, that's just internal rhyme. It wuz 'bout 14 posts back ah reckon... just the idea of Huny mistyping sugar seemed a kind of sweet irony.

But as another cleverer poster here once typed, "so much for edittors"... :wink:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:41 pm

...as befits a native Warshintonian (DC, not that big state in the Northwest US; NW is one of the four geographical sections of DC).
Speaking of DC-I stopped to stay the night once at the Holiday Inn Select there in DC on my way to New Rochelle, NY. Man, was it ever hard for me to navigate those streets! :x I had a BIG problem with C street for some reason. There seemed to be more that one part of it. Kinda like one half was on one side of the city and the other half was on the other side of the city. The next time I went, I flew American. That was on september 4th of 2001. Needless to say, that was the last time I went to NY. :cry:
Eternal sympathies upon anyone trying to find one's way around DC. After dealing with that and New Orléans I resolved that no Frenchman should ever be allowed to design a city, at least not here. I had no trouble in Paris, so what gives? As for C street, I have the same problem today in Asheville (Perry alert!), where there be both Haywood Street and Haywood Road, neither of which have squat to do with each other, nor do they meet. [/rant]

I was on my way to the airport on the morn of 9/11. My best friend was working for AA in Boston and would have been assigned to Flight 11 but went shopping when she would have put in for the flight so she was reassigned out of the way of what nobody knew was coming. Been to NY several times since then; life goes on as normal. New Yorkers are nothing if not resilient.[/topicroam]
Last edited by sluggo on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:19 pm

I'm glad for your friend, Sluggo. I know you're thankful as well.

A place that was tough for me to find my way around at first was Atlanta. Besides the perpetual construction, EVERY other road is named "Peachtree" something--road, lane, terrace, boulevard, avenue, street, way, pike, thoroughfare. Then to add to that, it seems every suburb also has multiple "Peachtrees". I think it's done so they can laugh at the out-of-towners.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:20 pm

I'm glad for your friend, Sluggo. I know you're thankful as well.

A place that was tough for me to find my way around at first was Atlanta. Besides the perpetual construction, EVERY other road is named "Peachtree" something--road, lane, terrace, boulevard, avenue, street, way, pike, thoroughfare. Then to add to that, it seems every suburb also has multiple "Peachtrees". I think it's done so they can laugh at the out-of-towners.
I believe your right about all of this! My first trip to Atlanta was a white knuckle ride (not at 6 flags either) the whole way( landing on that one runway where the pilot slams on his breaks and hangs a sharp left when landing is a nail biter, too! He can get a few good G's doing it). It's fun trying to get away from the airport. It can be like a southern version of "Groundhog Day". Haven't we been here before? :shock:

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:38 pm

"mysailf" ??
no no, that's just internal rhyme. It wuz 'bout 14 posts back ah reckon... just the idea of Huny mistyping sugar seemed a kind of sweet irony.

But as another cleverer poster here once typed, "so much for edittors"... :wink:
Yeah, so much for edittors. Than was a typo I will confess. :oops: Something must have gotten scarmbeld between my brain and my fingers. ( or I'm just try to make the rules up as I go). :roll:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Yeah, so much for edittors. Than was a typo I will confess. :oops: Something must have gotten scarmbeld between my brain and my fingers. ( or I'm just try to make the rules up as I go). :roll:

Oopsie... Huny I've been assuming you did dat on porpoise. Dint mean to nitpick, I was jes' teasin' ye. Anyway the current one was 'surgar'. But enough of this teasin'. I'm off for a spot of tea. And I'll take control of my own surgar :lol:

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:17 pm

Oopsie... Huny I've been assuming you did dat on porpoise. Dint mean to nitpick, I was jes' teasin' ye. Anyway the current one was 'surgar'. But enough of this teasin'. I'm off for a spot of tea. And I'll take control of my own surgar :lol:
Don't worry about it. :lol: Sometimes my brain makes a funny and forgets to include me in on it. I know you mean no harm. 8) It's when the ADD has kicked in and I think I'm in la-la land that I do my best work. I think it's just a series Freudian slips. :twisted: No,no Doctor, it has nothing to do with my mother, but then again, maybe I was just to Jung to remember.... Oh, this can't be good..

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:59 pm

No,no Doctor, it has nothing to do with my mother, but then again, maybe I was just to Jung to remember.... Oh, this can't be good..
Worx for me :D Meanwhile...
... native Baltimorons go "Downy Oshun." {snippity}.
Would it be too obscure to suggest this sounds like a warm and fuzzy Yoruban spirit?

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”