Innernet

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Innernet

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:52 am

However, at the computer center they made sure we knew to use the bottled water to make the coffee, not the tap water.
They have to tell people that??
We were from out of town, from areas where the water is safe.

Trouble was, the coffee was never strong enough unless I made it. Everybody else used only one pack of coffee; I had to double it to get something decent. Hey, when you've got a 24- to 48-hour Hot Site test to work, you need something to keep you up. Something legal, that is. :wink:

AHA! I FOUND IT! THE LYRICS AND A MIDI!

The Rolling Mills of New Jersey
(Roberts and Barrand)

When I die, bury me low
Where I can hear the petroleum flow.
A sweeter sound, I never did know
The rolling mills of New Jersey.

Down in Trenton, there is a bar
The bums, they come from near and from far
They come by truck, they come by car
The lousy bums of New Jersey

Down in Hoboken, there will be
Garbage as far as the eye can see.
There's garbage for you, there's garbage for me.
The garbage dumps of New Jersey.

When at last, I decided to roam,
Far away from my home in Bayonne.
I sat down, and wrote this poem.
I wrote an ode to New Jersey.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright John Roberts and Tony Barrand
Sung to the tune of The Rolling Hills of the Border.
Roberts and Barrand

Oh, and my favorite song of theirs is about a bar in Baltimore's Fells Point area: Eat Bertha's Mussels.

[Edit: I found a midi file for the tune and a better layout for the lyrics.]
Last edited by Stargzer on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

shacolourdes
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Innernet

Postby shacolourdes » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08 am

...Northern NJ is the only place I remember seeing those jug-handle intersections for making left turns.
Granted, that's true... but I'm from Joisey, so I'm used to those...
Everyone should have jug-handled turns! You seemingly disapproving of them is an insult!
Them be's fightin' words! :x
Heheh... my feigning an overreaction to that reminds me of a common phrase I've heard over the years:
Yea, I'm from Jersey...
Don't worry, we don't like you, either.
Happy New Year, All
shaCOLOURdes ~ colour in shades...
there's a recessive "ll" gene somewhere in our DNA.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:26 am

Zounds! Thou dost protesteth too muche!

I only said it's the only place I'd seen jug-handles. It's an interesting approach to traffic control, much better than the circles (rotaries) our county is putting in instead of stoplights in some places.

Happy New Year, shacolourdes!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:49 am

I though it went:

"You're from Jersey? What exit?"

Larry, somehow I don't think John Roberts and Tony Barrand wrote RMNJ- I know they recorded it but it had been around before that. Can't be sure, and you know how lyrics sites are about accuracy.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:31 pm

I though it went:

"You're from Jersey? What exit?"

Larry, somehow I don't think John Roberts and Tony Barrand wrote RMNJ- I know they recorded it but it had been around before that. Can't be sure, and you know how lyrics sites are about accuracy.
I finally went to their music publisher's web site and at the bottom of this page they claim responsibility for RMNJ:
... John wrote Eat Bertha's Mussels for our hosts at the fine Baltimore establishment, who have never failed to treat us royally on our many visits there. And, finally, we admit to responsibility for The Rolling Mills of New Jersey. Matt McGinn wrote The Rolling Hills of the Border. This is not that.
The Rolling Mills of New Jersey uses the same tune as The Rolling Hills of the Border, so that's an older song.

And yes, there is a Bertha's in Baltimore. :)
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Fair enough. Curious that I heard the song (and recorded it) elsewhere a good deal of time before the Holstein's album came out, but I guess that's the folk process, innit?

"Eat Bertha's Mussels" is of course a favourite of the N.O. Quarter Shanty Krewe. We know it well! :P
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 am

Fair enough. Curious that I heard the song (and recorded it) elsewhere a good deal of time before the Holstein's album came out, but I guess that's the folk process, innit?

"Eat Bertha's Mussels" is of course a favourite of the N.O. Quarter Shanty Krewe. We know it well! :P
Hmm. When did you record it?

Reading between the lines, the Holstein's album, in vinyl, was recorded in 1982 and issued in 1983 on Front Hall Music; it was re-issued on a CD in 2000 on Golden Hind Music.

From the Golden Hind site:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Produced by John Roberts & Tony Barrand
Recorded live at Holsteins, 2462 North Lincoln, Chicago, November 5 & 6, 1982 by Rich Warren, WFMT
Mastered and Edited by Grey Larsen at Sleepy Creek Recording & Mastering, Bloomington, Indiana
Photography by Emily Freidman

SONG NOTES
It was really Emily Friedman's fault. She wanted a recording of "The Barley Mow," that classic English drinking song, she thought we were the boys to do it, and she suggested that only a live recording would do. So she and her volunteer staff at Aural Tradition in Chicago booked us into Holsteins for a weekend, organized Rich Warren of WFMT to bring in some microphones and his new toy, a digital recording machine, and order us to go to work. So we did, and our recording of pub songs, choruses, general mayhem and merrymaking became a Front Hall L.P. Now we've gone back to those original tapes to add a few more songs and recitations, and here it is, finally, on CD.

I suspect it was written before 1982 but I can't find an earlier recording listed. The latest info I could find on "Andy's Front Hall Music" was a post in 1995 giving an address and phone/FAX numbers in NY. No listing in Wikipedia, not web site. It's probably lost to history unless it's in the Library of Congress.

The search will continue in the background ...
Regards//Larry

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”