Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art

laundromat or Laundromat

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

laundromat or Laundromat

Postby scw1217 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 pm

This word came up because Microsoft Word wanted to capitalize it and I wanted to know why. Turns out it was originally a Westinghouse brand name. I had no idea and simply thought it was a place where you can wash clothes by paying for use of the machines.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/laundromat

— n
( US ), ( Canadian ), ( NZ ) trademark Launderette , Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): laundrette a commercial establishment where clothes can be washed and dried, using coin-operated machines

and

laundromat
1943, originally a proprietary name by Westinghouse; from laundry + ending probably suggested by automat-. An earlier word for it in U.S. was washateria (1935).
Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.
scw1217
Lexiterian

Re: laundromat or Laundromat

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 pm

I occasionally have to straighten out spell check with a right click.
pl
Perry Lassiter
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 am

Right clicks are good. Just beware of those wrong ones.

I had no idea this was ever a trade name. I wonder why Microslop is continuing to protect it?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.
Slava
Grand Panjandrum

Postby scw1217 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 am

Slava wrote:I had no idea this was ever a trade name. I wonder why Microslop is continuing to protect it?

I wondered that same thing.
Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.
scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 am

Although the Westinghouse trademark for "laundromat," stylized, has expired, there is currently an active trademark "LAUNDROMAT" in any font/style (Reg. No.3010429, Registered Nov 1, 2005). The goods are described as "Fragrance for personal use, room fragrance, cologne, bath oil, bath gel, body lotion, [ body cream, ] and soaps for personal use"

The people who prepared the dictionary for the spellchecker must have run a check against the USPTO trademark database and figured as conscientious information providers they had to treat it as the trademark it is.
bnjtokyo
bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 am

bnjtokyo wrote:Although the Westinghouse trademark for "laundromat," stylized, has expired, there is currently an active trademark "LAUNDROMAT" in any font/style (Reg. No.3010429, Registered Nov 1, 2005). The goods are described as "Fragrance for personal use, room fragrance, cologne, bath oil, bath gel, body lotion, [ body cream, ] and soaps for personal use"

The people who prepared the dictionary for the spellchecker must have run a check against the USPTO trademark database and figured as conscientious information providers they had to treat it as the trademark it is.

So you can smell like a laundromat?
scw1217
Lexiterian

Return to Good Word Suggestions