phenomenon

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

phenomenon

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:34 pm

phe·nom·e·non (f-nm-nn, -nn)
n. pl. phe·nom·e·na (-n)
1. An occurrence, circumstance, or fact that is perceptible by the senses.
2. pl. phe·nom·e·nons
a. An unusual, significant, or unaccountable fact or occurrence; a marvel.
b. A remarkable or outstanding person; a paragon. See Synonyms at wonder.
3. Philosophy In the philosophy of Kant, an object as it is perceived by the senses, as opposed to a noumenon.
4. Physics An observable event.

[Late Latin phaenomenon, from Greek phainomenon, from neuter present participle of phainesthai, to appear; see bh-1 in Indo-European roots.]
Usage Note: Phenomenon is the only singular form of this noun; phenomena is the usual plural. Phenomenons may also be used as the plural in nonscientific writing when the meaning is "extraordinary things, occurrences, or persons": They were phenomenons in the history of music.
"holy fenama Batman, the joker is getting away"
I keep hearing this word used for things decidedly non-unusual, totally ordinary. This is just used way too often.

Kt

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:01 pm

"holy fenama"? I thought Robin's "Holy [...], Batman!" remarks were always puns on the situation.

And regarding that "phenomenons in the history of music": Kermit's problem was that he saw strange creatures whenever he said the word "phenomena"...

-gailr

For bonus points, where did this "phenomenal" song come from? (I learned this from a coworker just last week. Is this eerie coincidence some sort of phenomenon?) :twisted:

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:34 am

Gailr, the overheard "holy fenema" was from their TV show, (POW, CRASH, SLAP) I was hoping I didn't have to reveal I'd seen an episode, yes it was a pun, but I don't remember any more than the HF part. sigh, I have the dreaded Sometimers disease, sometimes I 'members, sometimes I don't.

Kt
OK, to my credit, I've never seen Any of the movies, the TV show was seen with a child of 10, WHEW!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”