Lavish

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
tcward
Wordmaster

Lavish

Postby tcward » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:26 pm

From etymonline.com:
lavish (adj.)
1469, from M.Fr. lavasse (n.), from O.Fr. lavache "torrent (of rain), deluge," from laver "to wash," from L. lavare "to wash" (see lave). The verb is first recorded 1542.
I just think this is a cool word. I heard it used today and thought I should post it here.

Probably the most common phrase that uses this word as a verb is "lavish with praise", but it doesn't have to be limited to that usage by any means.

On a side note, in glancing through references for this word, I discovered a synonym to the adjective form: Lucullan
SYLLABICATION: Lu·cul·lan
PRONUNCIATION: l-kln
ADJECTIVE: 1. Lavish; luxurious. 2. Of or relating to Lucullus or his luxurious banquets.
ETYMOLOGY: After Lucius Licinius Lucullus.
I suspect that Lucullan would be more commonly used in England...

-Tim

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:27 am

Good word, Tim!

It is always fun when someone picks something familiar that one has never really thought about.

That's learning me!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:34 am

I've always liked the word lavish as well and now when I saw it, I thought of wash (Portuguese/Spanish lavar, Italian lavare, French laver), and my speculation was confirmed when I saw its etymology.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”