Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art
 

Fictile

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

Fictile

Postby Bailey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:05 pm

Found on my Thursday newsletter:capable of being molded; plastic - FICTILE

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby Stargzer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:32 pm

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

fictile

SYLLABICATION: fic·tile
PRONUNCIATION: fĭk' təl, -tīl
ADJECTIVE: 1a. Capable of being molded; plastic. b. Formed of a moldable substance, such as clay or earth. 2. Of or relating to earthenware or pottery.
ETYMOLOGY: Latin fictilis, made of clay, from fictus, past participle of fingere, to mold. See dheigh- in Appendix I.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby gailr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:57 pm

Stargzer wrote:
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

fictile

SYLLABICATION: fic·tile
PRONUNCIATION: fĭk' təl, -tīl
ADJECTIVE: 1a. Capable of being molded; plastic. [b]

A practical application might be found for...massaged..statistics, as in: "Are the production numbers hitting the projected fictile for this quarter?"
-gailr
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:33 pm

gailr wrote:
Stargzer wrote:
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

fictile

SYLLABICATION: fic·tile
PRONUNCIATION: fĭk' təl, -tīl
ADJECTIVE: 1a. Capable of being molded; plastic. [b]

A practical application might be found for...massaged..statistics, as in: "Are the production numbers hitting the projected fictile for this quarter?"
-gailr


Or perhaps in statistics: Are the quartiles fictile, or are they cast in stone?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Postby gailr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:22 pm

Perry wrote:Or perhaps in statistics: Are the quartiles fictile, or are they cast in stone?

I say, let him whose quartile has no credited returns cast that stone!
-gailr
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Hmmmm. It seems fictile can have another etymology in statistics: ficticious percentile. :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD


Return to Good Word Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests