Curmudgeon

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:06 pm

I have a doctor's appointment that day to have a couple of moles removed, and I figure I won't be needing any prescription painkillers that afternoon . . . . 8)
This doesn't have anything to do with the earlier mentioned ear, does it? Gzer, you're a-fallin' apeart on us!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:45 am

Well, first of all, I thought the "...bottle in front of me..." line was a Dorothy Parker classic. And secondly of all, I'm definitely NOT a carmudgeon. Hrmph.

By the way, has anyone noticed the strange fact that one's ears start to sprout hair after about 55 or so, causing one to shave one's ears almost as often as one shaves one's chin? Good job I don't have to worry about two's ears, too.

- PW

EZ2TALK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby EZ2TALK » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:00 pm

PW, IF I have never had to shave my chin yet @ 53, will I still need to shave my ears by 55?
Karen :roll:
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yeild to it-Oscar Wilde

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Well, first of all, I thought the "...bottle in front of me..." line was a Dorothy Parker classic. . . .
Hmmm. I've never chased down the quote, but It doesn't surprise me that the woman who wrote about martinis would cobble up that quote, too.

. . . By the way, has anyone noticed the strange fact that one's ears start to sprout hair after about 55 or so, causing one to shave one's ears almost as often as one shaves one's chin? Good job I don't have to worry about two's ears, too.

- PW
Uh, no, I haven't, but I'll start looking. Of course, I haven't shaved my chin in a couple of years . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:10 am

PW, so what did happen to your ear?

OH, and by the way, I'm 58 and I don't have ANY hair in my ears, so there's hope for all. Hairs sprouting from the nose and ears looks disgusting and causes the young to righfully look away and er, urp.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 am

48, and it seems that as the hair on top thins, it reappears in the ears and nose (I know ladies--I sound like quite the catch!)...causing much acrobatic trimming.
Haven't shaved my chin in years either, but I have disproved a childhood belief of mine---that mustaches grew out of noses!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:27 pm

. . .
mark
Nothing happened to PW's ear that I know of, but Stargzer had a melanoma removed (in situ, stage 0) with Mohs Surgery that required a little plastic surgery. They cut a flap from the skin on my skull behing my earlobe, leaving one end attached, then lifted the flap up and sutured (i. e., sewed) it to my earlobe, and left it to grow for a few weeks. On the 25th they will carve it loose to give me a new earlobe. And then I go to fill up on Doppelbock at the Rams Head. :D

The biggest disappointment is that I can't donate platelets to the Red Cross for five years, so someone out there has to take up the slack.

And, I wasn't the only cancer patient in the family.

Our 6-year-old Chocolate Lab got lymphoma about the same time as my melanoma was diagnosed, but she's doing well on chemo.

At the same time, our 14-year-old Beagle, unfortunately, had what was probably a hemangiosarcoma, a malignant tumor made from blood vessels, that caused internal bleeding with subsequent severe anemia. It had spread from his spleen to his heart and so was inoperable. He died two weeks ago, just three weeks after diagnosis, most likely from internal bleeding. He will be missed. Add to that several other small annoying things that all hit at the same time and you'll begin to see why I'm ready to quit re-living the life of Job before it gets worse. :wink:

If only there had been some way to remove the tumor from my Beagle and send it to the members of Hamas, Hezbollah, Al Qaida, and the other terrorists in the world, such as those running Iran and Korea, the world would be a much better place. Apparently, God has other plans. I wish I understood them.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:22 pm

gzr, I read that somewhere in the bible the 'good guys' sent hemorrhoids to their enemies, so maybe you Can send your melanoma, I saw PW mention he only has one ear. I'm so sorry about your dogs, we lost one of our 'babies'(a dog) the oldest on May 2nd. he was 25 at least.

mark,
who reads things into other people's posts that maybe just aren't there? Paranoia strikes deep, into your soul it will creep. Wait, stop the presses see:
Good job I don't have to worry about two's ears, too.

- PW

kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:38 pm

Geezer, I'm sorry about your dogs...they can sure be a part of the family.
Hate to hear about your ear as well...what's the prognosis? Do they think they got it all? Once you're ear's patched up, are you just going to be in for annual checks on it?
Hope so.
I agree with your wish concerning dogs and terrorists as well...
Hope you have a swift recovery!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:54 pm

. . .
mark
Nothing happened to PW's ear that I know of
Stargeezer is correct. Both ears are mercifully intact, though some would probably recommend a lobeotomy. My reference to "two's ears" was but another of my pathetic jokes, refering back to the earlier phrase: "one's ears". I really need to stop making obscure comments like that.

- PW ('ere 'ere)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Go right ahead making them; I picked up on it quickly--the possessive kinda gave it away. :)
Regards//Larry

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:17 pm

Go right ahead making them; I picked up on it quickly--the possessive kinda gave it away. :)
Well, we're both geezers. And geezers channel. Or recognize possessives. :-)

-- PW (dusting off a brand old tagline)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:24 pm

. . .

Well, we're both geezers. And geezers channel. Or recognize possessives. :-)
:)

-- PW (dusting off a brand old tagline)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:25 am

Ah the smell of cultured humility in the morning!

mark

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:02 am

Is that's cultured as in bacterial, viral, or fungal?

I guess the more rabid ones would be viral . . .
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”