Glitterati

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Glitterati

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:23 pm

Glitterati

pl.n.
Informal

Glamorous people, famous, rich, or fashionable people thought of as a group, especially those who are frequently photographed by the press.

Etymology: blend of glitter and literati.

...although I believe the glitter is highly tarnished.

Any other blended english words out there?

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Re: Glitterati

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Glitterati

pl.n.
Informal

Glamorous people, famous, rich, or fashionable people thought of as a group, especially those who are frequently photographed by the press.

Etymology: blend of glitter and literati.

...although I believe the glitter is highly tarnished.

Any other blended english words out there?
How about the soon-to-be-unfashionable metrosexual? Close reading of the trend magazines informs those of us who give a crap that butch men are coming back in vogue. So no more pedicures, avocado rubs and weekly exfoliations for me. Back to powertools, ingrown toenails and shooting stuff.

Never one to use a simple word when there's a more difficult one out there, I like to refer to these constructions as portmanteau words. Blend is a word I prefer to associate with certain types of whisky.

Your avatar, by the way, is Pure Genius.

-- PW (who, concerned by recent reports on the dire consequences of exposure to secondhand smoke, has decided to stick to the - presumably much safer - firsthand variety.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:17 pm

PW, I prefer the blends as well...and the whole kit and caboodle of them!

Metrosexual is a great example, and personally, a word that I hope will be going away soon.

Any other cases of "portmanteau" words?

I was a good looking baby, wasn't I? (I was beginning to feel left out without an avatar to call my own...)

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:55 pm

Any other cases of "portmanteau" words?
Yessir.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Great list, PW!

Many old favorites there; noticed some missing, found some enchanting possibilities. I think my favorite today is cankles. I can hardly wait to use it.

-gailr
who has ankles, but doesn't go about flaunting them

ps skinem: looks like you're chillaxing in the new avatar.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 pm

yes, I agree that metrosexual is on it's way out, "the sooner the quicker". as my dear ol grandma used to say
Whew, I liked the feminazi one, so descriptive, so yucky so ubiquitious.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:53 pm

I always like to use the word disgrossning to describe something that is gross and disgusting at the same time.

Huny, who-thinks-it's-better-to-be-angered-off-than-angered-on.
Okay, bailey, what have you done to the ever so sweet Huny?
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:39 pm

Huny, is that you? I see you refer to yourself in the third person, very disconcerting, but it's your 'thing', I respect that, even think it's cute. Ah I wonder if this is the time I should tell about being angered on and off at the same time?

mark master-of-discretion-telling-no-lies Bailey

kb

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Huny, is that you? I see you refer to yourself in the third person, very disconcerting, but it's your 'thing', I respect that, even think it's cute. Ah I wonder if this is the time I should tell about being angered on and off at the same time?

mark master-of-discretion-telling-no-lies Bailey
Please do. If the content of the story is a bit sinsitive, you can p.m. us -er-um- me.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Actually it's not at all sinsitive, as you so delicately put it, I had a cat that wanted out I wanted an extra few Zzzz's, you can guess what happened.

mark

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:36 pm

I loved smugemate; but I am hard put to find a sentence it could go in.

As for whiskeys, single-malts are the only way I fly.

PS to Skinem. Your new avatar looks like Jackie Gleason as a baby.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:22 pm

That's all we need....fundamentalism. Oh crap...another six-syllable word. Soon, I'll be accused of being 'snooty'.

-- PW (who actually eschews whisky of all kinds)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 am

That's all we need....fundamentalism. Oh crap...another six-syllable word. Soon, I'll be accused of being 'snooty'.

-- PW (who actually eschews whisky of all kinds)
Actually I have nothing against those who drink the blends. More single-malt for me. Just don't ask me to drink the blends. (Well maybe Old Bushmill's - but even OB has a wonderful single-malt Irish whiskey that is way tastier to my humble palate.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:49 pm

I loved smugemate; but I am hard put to find a sentence it could go in.
Smudgemation might come in handy during tax season; kind a combination of guessing what you think the feds should return to you, combined with a banishing ritual to fend them off...
-gailr

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:06 pm

How about the soon-to-be-unfashionable metrosexual? Close reading of the trend magazines informs those of us who give a crap that butch men are coming back in vogue.
Menaissance

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”