Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art
 

Gobbledygook

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

Gobbledygook

Postby skinem » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:30 pm

Gobbledygook (noun)

Nonsense or jargon--language that is difficult or impossible to understand, especially either nonsense or long-winded technical jargon.

Etymology: irregular from gobble, noun

Gobble etymology: probably irregular from gob.

Gob etymology: Middle English gobbe, probably back-formation from gobet

The word "gobbledygook" came to mind after reading some education theory manuals...it's appropriate that the definition of "gob" is "lump" or "a large amount". Very appropriate.
User avatar
skinem
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Gobbledygook

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:07 pm

skinem wrote:Gobbledygook (noun)

Nonsense or jargon--language that is difficult or impossible to understand, especially either nonsense or long-winded technical jargon.

Etymology: irregular from gobble, noun

Gobble etymology: probably irregular from gob.

Gob etymology: Middle English gobbe, probably back-formation from gobet

The word "gobbledygook" came to mind after reading some education theory manuals...it's appropriate that the definition of "gob" is "lump" or "a large amount". Very appropriate.


At first glance I would have thought this the work of W.S. Gilbert but apparently it was coined by a true Maverick in 1944 in reaction to much the same experience as yours, Skin. The "gobble" part derives from the turkey cluck.

Isn't "gob" also British slang for mouth, as in "shut yer gob!"?

PS the avatar is preciously precocious.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Carolinia Agrestícia: The Forest Primeval

Re: Gobbledygook

Postby skinem » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:21 pm

sluggo wrote:
At first glance I would have thought this the work of W.S. Gilbert but apparently it was coined by a true Maverick in 1944 in reaction to much the same experience as yours, Skin. The "gobble" part derives from the turkey cluck.


After reading your link I would have thought that as well! It appears there's a little disagreement between World Wide Words and Merriam-Webster. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/gobbledygook



Isn't "gob" also British slang for mouth, as in "shut yer gob!"?


You betcha!

I was advanced for my age. Why does everyone assume that picture of me is old?
User avatar
skinem
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Gobbledygook

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:40 pm

skinem wrote: It appears there's a little disagreement between World Wide Words and Merriam-Webster. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/gobbledygook


The M-W entry just says Etymology: irregular from gobble, noun: wordy and generally unintelligible jargon

-this doesn't seem to dispute Maverick's invention ...?

Do we need a Doctor over here or can us inferns handle it?

I'll shut me gob. Suddenly hungry for turkey anyway.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Carolinia Agrestícia: The Forest Primeval

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:24 pm

I dunno, it seems to me like it's another racial slur.

mark

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby sluggo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:30 pm

Bailey wrote:I dunno, it seems to me like it's another racial slur.

mark


Eeeewww! Cannibalism! <why isn't there an emoticon for upchuck?>
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Carolinia Agrestícia: The Forest Primeval

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:57 pm

I enjoyed the maverick link, whether it is accurate or not.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous
User avatar
Perry
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Asheville, NC

GOBBLEDYGOOK

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Actually, I touched on that gobbledygook the discussion of maverick http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/maverick
• The Good Dr. Goodword
User avatar
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3562
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:28 am
Location: Lewisburg, PA


Return to Good Word Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron