schizophrenic

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

schizophrenic

Postby Bailey » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:43 am

schiz·o·phren·ic (skts-frnk)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or affected with schizophrenia.
2. Of, relating to, or characterized by the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic elements.
n.
One who is affected with schizophrenia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

schizo·phreni·cal·ly adv.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. schizophrenic - someone who is afflicted with schizophrenia
psycho, psychotic, psychotic person - a person afflicted with psychosis
Adj. 1. schizophrenic - suffering from some form of schizophrenia; "schizophrenic patients"
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
2. schizophrenic - of or relating to or characteristic of schizophrenia
schizoid
3. schizophrenic - suffering from a form of schizophrenia characterized by foolish mannerisms and senseless laughter along with delusions and regressive behavior
hebephrenic
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
I had a schizophrenic man living in my house for a time. It was awful. Have you ever heard the "expression if you aren't crazy when you go into a mental hospital you soon will be"?

mark of-two-minds Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:43 pm

Schizophrenia is scary stuff...but reminds me of a funny t-shirt I've seen. "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic and so am I."

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:27 pm

It is quite common to see schizophrenia mistaken for multiple personality disorder. It is in fact something altogether different. The confusion (pun only partially intended), may arise from the etymology.
The term schizophrenia translates roughly as "shattered mind," and comes from the Greek σχίζω (schizo, "to split" or "to divide") and φρήν (phrēn, "mind").

...The term schizophrenia is derived from the Greek words 'schizo' (split) and 'phren' (mind) and was coined by Eugene Bleuler in 1908 to refer to the lack of interaction between thought processes and perception.
Wikpedia
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:01 am

Perry, please do not confuse us with the facts. From what I've heard and seen schizophrenics are bombarded with sensory input. It would be like ADD to the max. How can they not be 'crazy'? Overheard on TV, "Schizophrenia is for life". I hear it can remit.

mark no-excuse-crazy Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”