Alphadictionary.com

Our Sponsors

Technical Translation
Website Translation Clip Art
 

Precocious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

Precocious

Postby Slava » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:36 pm

A nice word, with an interesting etymology. In a way, it should mean something like coming off half-baked.

Slava
User avatar
Slava
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:31 am
Location: Finger Lakes, NY

Postby Bailey » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm

very interesting insight,Slava; Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are.

mark not-revived, clearwatered Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby skinem » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:17 pm

Bailey wrote:very interesting insight,Slava; Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are.

mark not-revived, clearwatered Bailey


Well, it ain't me...I ain't no fortunate son. I for sure was never precocious. I was born on the bayou along the Green River with a bad moon rising. Don't look now, but ever now and then you'll see me down on the corner wondering if you've ever seen the rain (and, as an aside, wondering who'll stop it!) while looking out my backdoor. Shows where my head is, huh?
But, what the hey, tonight, I'll just keep on chooglin'. What are you gonna do?
User avatar
skinem
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Postby gailr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Bailey wrote:...Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are. ...


On the other hand, I'll quote Gary Jennings (Aztec) to the best of my memory: "For myself, I believe the long-dead were no wiser than ourselves, and their being dead has added no luster to their wisdom."

btw: well written, skinem. Glad to learn that you weren't in for mashed potatoes.

gailr
not stirring up trouble, but not a late bloomer...
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 pm

gailr wrote:
Bailey wrote:...Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are. ...


On the other hand, I'll quote Gary Jennings (Aztec) to the best of my memory: "For myself, I believe the long-dead were no wiser than ourselves, and their being dead has added no luster to their wisdom."

gailr


mark do-I-smell-dead? Bailey
as to the Mondegreen, Well, I can only say MY hearing is much better than that... so far.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby gailr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:45 pm

Bailey wrote:... mark do-I-smell-dead? Bailey


I hope not! But the alphaAgora is not yet broadcast in smellovision, so I guess only you and yours can verify this for us... :)

Not a comment on you, Bailey; just an observation that the "old folks" don't always have a corner on the smarts market, either. Sadly, not on the maturity market, either.

-gailr
just back from another...stimulating...trip through rush-hour, "grownups" traffic
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:08 pm

gailr wrote:
Not a comment on you, Bailey; just an observation that the "old folks" don't always have a corner on the smarts market, either. Sadly, not on the maturity market, either.

-gailr

I know growing up is mandatory and maturity is optional, BUT let's be real, a teenager who knows it all, well they just don't. They can't even tell the difference between fun and travesty. This is testified by the sheer number of Darwin award winners in that age bracket. That I survived that era in my own past testifies that I might be a bit smarter than those who science confirms are not capable of seeing consequences of their actions.

mark not-smart-but-smarter-than-that-and-I-AIN'T-DEAD-YET Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby skinem » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:17 pm

Bailey wrote:That I survived that era in my own past testifies that I might be a bit smarter than those who science confirms are not capable of seeing consequences of their actions.


Smarter, and for sure, at least in my case, luckier. Can you display precocious wisdom?


Gailr wrote:btw: well written, skinem. Glad to learn that you weren't in for mashed potatoes.


Thank you and thanks for the link. That song has never been the same for me since one of my sisters-in-law told me she thought it was "There's a bathroom on the right"!
User avatar
skinem
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:33 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Postby Ferrus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:31 pm

This is a fairly well known word...
Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:36 pm

Ferrus wrote:This is a fairly well known word...

ok, aknowledged and? Did you read the Whole thread?

mark was-replying-to-Gailr Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb








Bailey
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:16 am

Bailey wrote:
Ferrus wrote:This is a fairly well known word...

ok, aknowledged and? Did you read the Whole thread?

mark was-replying-to-Gailr Bailey


You must pardon the Commotion, Ferrus -this lot does go up around the bend offtopic. It just comes out of the sky with no sinister purpose, but don't let what we've wrought deter your filings from being cast :lol:

PS loved-the-link, Gailr
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Carolinia Agrestícia: The Forest Primeval

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:21 am

sluggo wrote:You must pardon the Commotion, Ferrus -this lot does go up around the bend offtopic. It just comes out of the sky with no sinister purpose, but don't let what we've wrought deter your filings from being cast :lol:

PS loved-the-link, Gailr


Quite right, Ferrus. A useful guide around here is: let he without din cast the first tone.
or is that: let he without tin cast the first scone?

Glad you liked the link, sluggo. Remember the Piña Colada song. yeah...I know...not 'til I mentioned it. sorry... At any rate, back in the day I had a roommate from an isolated area who insisted that it was the Peanut Colada song, and written about a candy bar. No one could disabuse her of this notion.

-gailr
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 pm

gailr wrote:... At any rate, back in the day I had a roommate from an isolated area who insisted that it was the Peanut Colada song, and written about a candy bar. No one could disabuse her of this notion.

-gailr


Was that in a college dorm? If so, it's no wonder there was no Escape.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
Stargzer
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 pm

It was off-campus, gzer, and she was proud of not wasting her time and money on school.

Pina colonic! Gak! [or should that be: doh!] Uh...thanks...for the link...
:lol:
User avatar
gailr
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:40 am

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:40 pm

gailr wrote:...Remember the Piña Colada song. yeah...I know...not 'til I mentioned it. sorry... At any rate, back in the day I had a roommate from an isolated area who insisted that it was the Peanut Colada song, and written about a candy bar. No one could disabuse her of this notion.

-gailr


This title -mercifully I infer - rings no bells for me; I've just been looking it up on The Google to see what I apparently missed and concluding it came out of the sky at a time I was living in Europe. Sadly though, that did not protect me from The Buggles... :evil:
arrgh! now I've gone and infected me own head...

Slug-what-was-the-title-of-this-thread-again?-it's-coming-off-half-baked-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Carolinia Agrestícia: The Forest Primeval

Next

Return to Good Word Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests