Precocious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Precocious

Postby Slava » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:36 pm

A nice word, with an interesting etymology. In a way, it should mean something like coming off half-baked.

Slava

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm

very interesting insight,Slava; Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are.

mark not-revived, clearwatered Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:17 pm

very interesting insight,Slava; Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are.

mark not-revived, clearwatered Bailey
Well, it ain't me...I ain't no fortunate son. I for sure was never precocious. I was born on the bayou along the Green River with a bad moon rising. Don't look now, but ever now and then you'll see me down on the corner wondering if you've ever seen the rain (and, as an aside, wondering who'll stop it!) while looking out my backdoor. Shows where my head is, huh?
But, what the hey, tonight, I'll just keep on chooglin'. What are you gonna do?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:22 pm

...Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are. ...
On the other hand, I'll quote Gary Jennings (Aztec) to the best of my memory: "For myself, I believe the long-dead were no wiser than ourselves, and their being dead has added no luster to their wisdom."

btw: well written, skinem. Glad to learn that you weren't in for mashed potatoes.

gailr
not stirring up trouble, but not a late bloomer...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 pm

...Precocious does imply that the person is young and I give the 'young' very little credence, no matter how smart they think they are. ...
On the other hand, I'll quote Gary Jennings (Aztec) to the best of my memory: "For myself, I believe the long-dead were no wiser than ourselves, and their being dead has added no luster to their wisdom."

gailr

mark do-I-smell-dead? Bailey
as to the Mondegreen, Well, I can only say MY hearing is much better than that... so far.

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:45 pm

... mark do-I-smell-dead? Bailey
I hope not! But the alphaAgora is not yet broadcast in smellovision, so I guess only you and yours can verify this for us... :)

Not a comment on you, Bailey; just an observation that the "old folks" don't always have a corner on the smarts market, either. Sadly, not on the maturity market, either.

-gailr
just back from another...stimulating...trip through rush-hour, "grownups" traffic

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:08 pm

Not a comment on you, Bailey; just an observation that the "old folks" don't always have a corner on the smarts market, either. Sadly, not on the maturity market, either.

-gailr
I know growing up is mandatory and maturity is optional, BUT let's be real, a teenager who knows it all, well they just don't. They can't even tell the difference between fun and travesty. This is testified by the sheer number of Darwin award winners in that age bracket. That I survived that era in my own past testifies that I might be a bit smarter than those who science confirms are not capable of seeing consequences of their actions.

mark not-smart-but-smarter-than-that-and-I-AIN'T-DEAD-YET Bailey

kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:17 pm

That I survived that era in my own past testifies that I might be a bit smarter than those who science confirms are not capable of seeing consequences of their actions.
Smarter, and for sure, at least in my case, luckier. Can you display precocious wisdom?

btw: well written, skinem. Glad to learn that you weren't in for mashed potatoes.
Thank you and thanks for the link. That song has never been the same for me since one of my sisters-in-law told me she thought it was "There's a bathroom on the right"!

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:31 pm

This is a fairly well known word...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:36 pm

ok, aknowledged and? Did you read the Whole thread?

mark was-replying-to-Gailr Bailey

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:16 am

ok, aknowledged and? Did you read the Whole thread?

mark was-replying-to-Gailr Bailey
You must pardon the Commotion, Ferrus -this lot does go up around the bend offtopic. It just comes out of the sky with no sinister purpose, but don't let what we've wrought deter your filings from being cast :lol:

PS loved-the-link, Gailr
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:21 am

You must pardon the Commotion, Ferrus -this lot does go up around the bend offtopic. It just comes out of the sky with no sinister purpose, but don't let what we've wrought deter your filings from being cast :lol:

PS loved-the-link, Gailr
Quite right, Ferrus. A useful guide around here is: let he without din cast the first tone.
or is that: let he without tin cast the first scone?

Glad you liked the link, sluggo. Remember the Piña Colada song. yeah...I know...not 'til I mentioned it. sorry... At any rate, back in the day I had a roommate from an isolated area who insisted that it was the Peanut Colada song, and written about a candy bar. No one could disabuse her of this notion.

-gailr

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 pm

... At any rate, back in the day I had a roommate from an isolated area who insisted that it was the Peanut Colada song, and written about a candy bar. No one could disabuse her of this notion.

-gailr
Was that in a college dorm? If so, it's no wonder there was no Escape.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:29 pm

It was off-campus, gzer, and she was proud of not wasting her time and money on school.

Pina colonic! Gak! [or should that be: doh!] Uh...thanks...for the link...
:lol:

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:40 pm

...Remember the Piña Colada song. yeah...I know...not 'til I mentioned it. sorry... At any rate, back in the day I had a roommate from an isolated area who insisted that it was the Peanut Colada song, and written about a candy bar. No one could disabuse her of this notion.

-gailr
This title -mercifully I infer - rings no bells for me; I've just been looking it up on The Google to see what I apparently missed and concluding it came out of the sky at a time I was living in Europe. Sadly though, that did not protect me from The Buggles... :evil:
arrgh! now I've gone and infected me own head...

Slug-what-was-the-title-of-this-thread-again?-it's-coming-off-half-baked-go
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”