Monster

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
brazos2
Junior Lexiterian

Monster

Postby brazos2 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:16 am

In light of Munster matriarch Yvonne De Carlo passing away yesterday at age 84, it was noted that "Munster" was created by combining "fun" with "monster".

Personally, I loved this program (and still do). So to honor Ms De Carlo, (and don't forget Fred Gwynne) it might be interesting to take a look at "Monster".

Ms De Carlo was quoted as saying she enjoyed doing the show because "it made her hot again".

Indeed it did! :oops:

[/img][/url][/quote]

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:22 am

The etymology is very interesting. The bolding was me.
monster
c.1300, "malformed animal, creature afflicted with a birth defect," from O.Fr. monstre, from L. monstrum "monster, monstrosity, omen, portent, sign," from root of monere "warn" (see monitor). Abnormal or prodigious animals were regarded as signs or omens of impending evil. Extended c.1385 to imaginary animals composed of parts of creatures (centaur, griffin, etc.). Meaning "animal of vast size" is from 1530; sense of "person of inhuman cruelty or wickedness" is from 1556. In O.E., the monster Grendel was an aglæca, a word related to aglæc "calamity, terror, distress, oppression."
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Welcome brazos2! It's always good to have fresh blood to liven the place up. Here I wasn't even aware of Yvonne's passing. Hated the show but loved her.

Perry, I think "the bolding was me" comes to life far, far better than "emphasis added". Touché!
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:24 pm

In the beginning, there was bold. And the bold was with me, and the bold was me.
Apologies to John the Fisherman. :lol:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 pm

In the beginning, there was bold. And the bold was with me, and the bold was me.
Perry, that deserves a nod from another of Yvonne's screen husbands: *sonorously* so let it be written.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:03 pm

I hadn't realized that that was Yvonne De Carlo. (Those ancient Egyptian royals all look alike.)
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:34 pm

no, we don't...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”