overweening

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
tcward
Wordmaster

overweening

Postby tcward » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:08 pm

“The overweening self-respect of conceited men relieves others from the duty of respecting them at all.”
~ Henry Ward Beecher
overweening
1340, from prp. of overwenen "be conceited, presume," from O.E. ofer-wenian, from ofer + "over" + wenian (see ween).
And for those who are interested in following the trails...
ween
O.E. wenan "to think," from P.Gmc. *woenijanan (cf. O.S. wanian, O.N. væna, O.Fris. wena, O.H.G. wanen, Ger. wähnen, Goth. wenjan "to expect, suppose, think"), from *woeniz "expectation," from PIE base *wen- "to wish, desire, strive for" (see Venus). Archaic since 17c.

Venus
O.E., from L. Venus (pl. veneres), in ancient Roman mythology, the goddess of beauty and love, especially sensual love, from venus "love, sexual desire, loveliness, beauty, charm," from PIE base *wen- "to strive after, wish, desire, be satisfied" (cf. Skt. vanas- "desire," vanati "desires, loves, wins;" Avestan vanaiti "he wishes, is victorious;" O.E. wynn "joy," wunian "to dwell," wenian "to accustom, train, wean," wyscan "to wish"). Applied by the Romans to Gk. Aphrodite, Egyptian Hathor, etc. Meaning "second planet from the sun" is attested from c.1290 (O.E. had morgensteorra and æfensteorra). The venus fly-trap (Dionæa muscipula) was discovered 1760 by Gov. Arthur Dobbs in North Carolina and description sent to Collinson in England.
I've heard "overweening" before, but just decided to look it up after reading an article, which I had intended to link to... Sadly, I must have closed it, and that was hours ago, and now I can't remember where I had read the word used. So we will have to make do with the HWB quote I offered at the opening.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:38 pm

As opposed to underweening.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Is this why some intellectuals are accused of being weenies?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:45 am

No, apparently not.

According to the Online Etymology dictionary, weenie meaning frankfurter dates from 1906, from the German wienerwurst, "Vienna sausage." The meaning of "ineffectual person" is from 1963.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:13 pm

I may have been taking a weeliberty.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”