lackey

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
neuminous
Junior Lexiterian

lackey

Postby neuminous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm not finding any previous posts about this word, and I am curious about the apparent decline of the unfortunate lackey from butler to bootlicker. It seems to have become a very specific word in current usage, referring only to government henchmen. I also wonder at the word's incidence as a surname, e.g. John Lackey.

Any observations?

Peace.
---

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:09 pm

lackey
1529, "footman, running footman, valet," from M.Fr. laquais "foot soldier, footman, servant" (15c.), probably from O.Prov. lacai, from lecai "glutton, covetous," from lecar "to lick." Alternate etymology is via Fr. from Catalan alacay, from Arabic al-qadi "the judge." Yet another guess traces it through Sp. lacayo, from It. lacchè, from Mod.Gk. oulakes, from Turk. ulak "runner, courier." This suits the original sense better, but OED says It. lacchè is from French. Sense of "servile follower" appeared 1588. As a political term of abuse it dates from 1939 in communist jargon.
The route of decline that you describe isn't borne out by the good old Online Etymology Dictionary.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Now I would have guessed that the butlers oversee the bootlickers (who, perhaps, serve alongside the launderers?)

-gail-"remains of the day"-r

Of course, some lackeys serve with honors in the musicians' gallery...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”