Office

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Office

Postby skinem » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:37 pm

of·fice

Pronunciation: 'ä-f&s, 'o-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin officium service, duty, office, from opus work + facere to make, do -- more at OPERATE, DO
1 a : a special duty, charge, or position conferred by an exercise of governmental authority and for a public purpose : a position of authority to exercise a public function and to receive whatever emoluments may belong to it b : a position of responsibility or some degree of executive authority
2 [Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin officium, from Latin] : a prescribed form or service of worship; specifically capitalized : DIVINE OFFICE
3 : a religious or social ceremonial observance : RITE
4 a : something that one ought to do or must do : an assigned or assumed duty, task, or role b : the proper or customary action of something : FUNCTION c : something done for another : SERVICE
5 : a place where a particular kind of business is transacted or a service is supplied: as a : a place in which the functions of a public officer are performed b : the directing headquarters of an enterprise or organization c : the place in which a professional person conducts business
6 plural, chiefly British : the apartments, attached buildings, or outhouses in which the activities attached to the service of a house are carried on
7 a : a major administrative unit in some governments <British Foreign Office> b : a subdivision of some government departments <Patent Office>
synonym see FUNCTION

Well, you can tell where I am today...I don't see a definition for "soul-sucking" anywhere...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:58 pm

Well, you can tell where I am today...I don't see a definition for "soul-sucking" anywhere...
official, officious, obnoxious
you picked the wrong word.

mark soul-sucked Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:45 pm

It is my office to hold Divine Office in my office as an office for my congregants. (1,2,5,4)

Gets confusing doesn't it?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”