Lustration

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Lustration

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:42 pm

A word that is getting some play in the news these days, so perhaps a review of whence it came and how it differs from catharsis would be interesting?

Slava

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Cathartic is more closely related to purgative. Lustration, unlike the aforesaid words does not usually appertain to emotional purging but rather to purging in the more Stalinist sense of the word, such as the lustration in the former Yugoslavia of war criminals. Epuration (a word with more currency in French) is similar in this manner.
"Words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think."
Lord Byron

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:36 pm

... Lustration, unlike the aforesaid words does not usually appertain to emotional purging but rather to purging in the more Stalinist sense of the word, such as the lustration in the former Yugoslavia of war criminals. ...
That may depend on what you read and where you live. I think first of less sinister usages for lustration:

lustration [Encyclopaedia Britannica]

lustration [Jewish Encyclopedia.com]

lustration [New Advent]

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Lustration v. Catharsis

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:33 pm

What I was thinking of here was an explication for the recipients of the general e-mail. While most of the Agorans are probably well aware of the difference, I thought perhaps others might be wondering why the Poles need a lustration rather than a catharsis.

Which leads me to be a bit weird:

After what it thought was the catharsis of breaking with the Soviet Union, the Polish Nation has begun to feel Frustration. The Pole pols and religious leaders felt it was time for a Lustration; a time for Genuflection and seeking of Absolution.

Okay, it's not great, but it is a bunch of -tions.

Slava

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:21 pm

how very illustrative.

mark drawng-pretty-pictures Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Ferrus
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Ferrus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:55 am

That may depend on what you read and where you live. I think first of less sinister usages for lustration:
Perhaps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustration
"Words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think."
Lord Byron

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”