debouche

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
scw1217
Lexiterian

debouche

Postby scw1217 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:05 pm

I stumbled across this word while reading a portion of the memoirs of General William T. Sherman. He, of course, was a soldier and it appears to be a word mainly in reference to soldiers. However, that said, I was fascinated by the fact that debouche is still a word, but bouch is not. (See links.) I'd be interested to know what other words derived from it's word history.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=debouch
de·bouch /dɪˈbuʃ, -ˈbaʊtʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-boosh, -bouch] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used without object)
1. to march out from a narrow or confined place into open country, as a body of troops: The platoon debouched from the defile into the plain.
2. Physical Geography.
a. to emerge from a relatively narrow valley upon an open plain: A river or glacier debouches on the plains.
b. to flow from a small valley into a larger one.
3. to come forth; emerge.
–noun
4. débouché.
[Origin: 1655–65; < F déboucher, equiv. to dé- dis-1 + -boucher, v. deriv. of bouche mouth < L bucca cheek, jaw]
And here is the obsolete bouch.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bouch
Bouch

e \Bouche\, Bouch \Bouch\, n. [F. bouche mouth, victuals.] 1. A mouth. [Obs.]

2. An allowance of meat and drink for the tables of inferior officers or servants in a nobleman's palace or at court. [Obs.]
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:46 am

Debouche, as to come out of the mouth, makes sense. a single word for entering the mouth of a cave or gully doesn't seem to make sense.

The verb mouth is (I believe) reserved for forming words without vocalising.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:34 am

SCW, you MUST be brilliant! I read his memoirs about 2 months ago and just read a historical fiction about his march.
He had and used a larger vocabulary than you typically hear used today.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:49 pm

SCW, you MUST be brilliant! I read his memoirs about 2 months ago and just read a historical fiction about his march.
But the all southern gentlemen of that time did. And so did they up north, it was a gentler time when people spoke volumes because they had the time to.

mark hurry-hurry Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:07 pm

Either brilliant or crazy, all depending on your point of view! :lol: It's a fascinating read and as you said well written. I was an enthralled by the portions about Florida and California as about the Civil War itself. He provides some great descriptions of places that is unusual in most Civil War era biographies.

As to debouche, I have decided I kind of like the word. Curiosity is what drew me to wondering about other words derived from a similar origin.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:39 pm

Either brilliant or crazy, all depending on your point of view! :lol: It's a fascinating read and as you said well written. I was an enthralled by the portions about Florida and California as about the Civil War itself. He provides some great descriptions of places that is unusual in most Civil War era biographies.

As to debouche, I have decided I kind of like the word. Curiosity is what drew me to wondering about other words derived from a similar origin.
Brilliant, of course!
Now, there is some question as to whether Sherman himself was brilliant or crazy. Personally, I don't see them as mutually exclusive.

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Brilliant, of course!
Now, there is some question as to whether Sherman himself was brilliant or crazy. Personally, I don't see them as mutually exclusive.
You will recall he was deeply offended when a newspaper report portrayed him as such at the start of the war and went to great length to say he was not!

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:24 am

Brilliant, of course!
You will recall he was deeply offended when a newspaper report portrayed him as such at the start of the war and went to great length to say he was not!
Yup--it did hurt him to think people were saying that about him. But, from letters some of his staff wrote, they feared for his stability following the deaths of his two boys.

Either way, a great soldier.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”