volatile

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:00 pm

... Most however were combo people...
Pardon my ignorance, Katy, but «combo people» ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:21 pm

Perhaps Katy means those people who do not fit into neat dichotomies, but are combinations of light & dark, left & right, scientist & mystic. You know, human.

Does [mental/spiritual/social] balance require the ability to see more than one side of an issue, as opposed to those unbalanced individuals whose worldviews are so polarized, and speech/actions so volatile, that they are perceived as "monsters"?

gailr

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:40 am

... Most however were combo people...
Pardon my ignorance, Katy, but «combo people» ?...

Henri
Let's see Henri, we were talking about monsters and saints, few fit into either catagory, but I suspect each of is is part both, a combination, I've donme very hurtful thinkd to others. (now just get off your high-horse there, you have too) usually just by geing ego-centric, and I've done some very kind selfless things, sometimes even things that hurt me greatly, but helped someone else. Combo person, good and bad.

**There was a little girl,
who had a little curl,
right in the middle of her far'ead,
When she was good,
she was very, very, good,
And When she was Bad...
She was horrid!

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:45 am

... Combo person, good and bad.
That's what I thought you meant, Katy, but I wasn't quite sure, which is why I requested an elucidation. I agree, most people are «combo people» ; as I said above, I've met a fair number of people who have done monstrous things but, with one exception, no «monsters». And all the people whom I have met and would choose to characterise as «good» have also done things in the course of their lives of which they are not proud. High horse or no, I should like to place myself among them....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:02 am

I've known monsters.

Katy

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:38 pm

Toxoplasmosis results from infection by the parasite Toxoplasma gondii. Most domestic cats are or will be infected during their lives. The parasite reproduces within cats but is passed through their feces to intermediate hosts, particularly rats and humans. The parasites spread through the body, lodging primarily within the muscle and brain tissue, where they will remain throughout the host's life. When a cat eats an infected rat or bird or uncooked meat, the cat acquires the parasite, and the cycle continues. The rate of infection in humans ranges from 20%-80%, varying by country with France at the high end. Billions of people thus have parasites in their brains.
f we become immuno-suppressed with AIDS or chemotherapy, the parasites reactivate in us. Basically, this is what causes the madness at the terminal stage of AIDS. It's actually the Toxoplasma making great big holes in your brain.
It gets worse. Toxoplasma gondii is thought to be an example supporting the Manipulation Hypothesis, which posits that parasites can evolve the ability to alter their hosts' behavior to make transmission more likely.
[Infected] women ... appear to exhibit the “sex kitten” effect, becoming less trustworthy, more desirable, fun-loving and possibly more promiscuous. ... [They] spent more money on clothes and were consistently rated as more attractive. ... By contrast, the infected men appeared to suffer from the “alley cat” effect: becoming less well groomed undesirable loners who were more willing to fight. They were more likely to be suspicious and jealous. “They tended to dislike following rules,” Flegr said.
Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:42 pm

Hmmmmmm Another REALLY GOOD REASON to avoids those dirty creatures. Self-cleaning? HA! ever see one roll in dust right before napping on your white sofa? And they kill mice, ewe! NO, EWE!

Katy

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”