Cupreous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Cupreous

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Could red-heads be described as having cupreous locks? Poetically, I'm sure, but they'd probably deck you if you used in to their face.

Along those lines, how does the Agora feel about the use of they and their to avoid he/she and his/her? It seems to be becoming quite common, though at times it does feel awkward.

Slava

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:18 pm

For question 1: Nice word, but not all red-heads are copper-tops. (So many shades, and all loosely called red!)

For question 2: I often find myself using their when the subject is a company, corporation or such. When I am writing something that really can only pertain to an individual (of either sex, but gender unknown at the time of writing), I still fall back on the clumsy he/she his/hers.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Cupreous

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:38 pm

I have a real-life use, not related to hair or copper wire. Actually two.

1) Yesterday there was a lovely cupreous glow to the evening sky as the sun dipped below the horizon.

2) My pizza last night had very greasy pepperoni, so the bottom of the box was covered with a rather cupreous slime.

Fortunately, my local pizzeria does not suffer from this second problem.

Slava

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:59 pm

Cupreous is a good description for something here in Denver, slava. There's a brick building located across the street from a high-rise complex with gold-tinted commercial windows. In late afternoons those windows reflect dancing, liquid light across the street, wrapping the building and disguising the texture and masonry pattern, but blending with the reddish color. I've never seen this effect from that type of window before, and it's really quite beautiful. I'll be thinking cupreous next time traffic slows to a crawl in that block...
-gailr

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Sunny Windows

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:21 am

gailr,

I've seen this effect, too. I used to have an apartment that faced away from the sunset. Thus the buildings around me often looked like they were on fire, from the way the sun hit the windows. I took pictures at times, because it was so realistic.

Slava

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:21 pm

oh, you mean like this? I like sunrises and sunsets so I take pix of both.

mark bloody-sunsets Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Bloody Sunsets

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:45 pm

Aye, that's the ticket. I don't have any of mine in my computer, and have no clue as how to post them anyway, so I can't share. But thanks for yours.

Slava[/img]

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:04 am

Perhaps you all were thinking of the Golden Hour?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”