Challenge

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Challenge

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:23 pm

I was thinking that looking at common words that have morphed over time might be fun and challenging (there, I've said it).
challenge
1292, from O.Fr. chalenge "accusation, claim, dispute," from L. calumnia "trickery" (see calumny). Accusatory connotations died out 17c. Meaning "a calling to fight" is from 1530. Challenged as a euphemism for "disabled" dates from 1985.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:09 pm

I'll accept your challenge and play the devil's advocate for the word satan. (He started out as a lawyer and just went downhill from there.) :twisted:

etymonline gives:
"In biblical sources the Hebrew term the satan describes an adversarial role. It is not the name of a particular character. Although Hebrew storytellers as early as the sixth century B.C.E. occasionally introduced a supernatural character whom they called the satan, what they meant was any one of the angels sent by God for the specific purpose of blocking or obstructing human activity."
Mea culpa for invoking Wikipedia, but it includes references from several languages that use satan:
In the Book of Job, ha-satan("the adversary") is a prosecuting attorney against mankind in the heavenly court of God. Other angels are not mentioned by name. He is known as the accuser and is the angel which questions mankind's loyalty to God. He argues that man is only loyal because God gives them prosperity. He is the one who actually delivers all the ills upon Job to test his faith on Gods command.
-gailr
who never knows quite what to make of news articles hinting that satinists may have been at work...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”