Phylogeny

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Phylogeny

Postby Grogie » Tue May 01, 2007 6:54 am

The history or the course of the development of a word, custom etc, etc.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 01, 2007 11:18 am

When would you use this, instead of using etymology?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Tue May 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi Perry. I,m not really sure. It was just an interesting word I discovered. Maybe etymology and phylogeny are interchangeable. I,ve also read that ''phylogeny'' only applies to plant and animal species. I,m not sure what to tell you.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue May 01, 2007 11:45 pm

For what it's worth (zero) I've only heard applied in the bioogical sense-never havng to do with words.
Thanks again, Grogie!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed May 02, 2007 12:42 am

Well, Doc, I believe we've stumbled upon a trio of similar-sounding words for a series of WOTDs.

American Heritage Dictionary:
Phylogeny
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. phy·log·e·nies
1. The evolutionary development and history of a species or higher taxonomic grouping of organisms. Also called phylogenesis. 2. The evolutionary development of an organ or other part of an organism: the phylogeny of the amphibian intestinal tract. 3. The historical development of a tribe or racial group.
ETYMOLOGY: Greek phūlon, race, class; see phylum + –geny.

BUT ...
philology

SYLLABICATION: phi·lol·o·gy

NOUN: 1. Literary study or classical scholarship. 2. See historical linguistics.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English philologie, from Latin philologia, love of learning, from Greek philologiā, from philologos, fond of learning or of words : philo-, philo- + logos, reason, speech; see –logy.
... and not to be confused with:
Philogyny is the love/deep admiration for women/womenkind. An antonym of misogyny.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”