Detente

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
scw1217
Lexiterian

Detente

Postby scw1217 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Another word I came across while reading. It appears to be straight from the French version, minus the punctuation mark.

Dictionary.com'sdefinitions:
dé·tente /deɪˈtɑnt; Fr. deɪˈtɑ̃t/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dey-tahnt; Fr. dey-tahnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -tentes /-ˈtɑnts; Fr. -ˈtɑ̃t/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-tahnts; Fr. -tahnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.
a relaxing of tension, esp. between nations, as by negotiations or agreements.
Also, de·tente.
[Origin: 1905–10; < F; see detent]

dé·tente (dā-tänt', -täɴt') Pronunciation Key
n.
1. A relaxing or easing, as of tension between rivals.
2. A policy toward a rival nation or bloc characterized by increased diplomatic, commercial, and cultural contact and a desire to reduce tensions, as through negotiation or talks.
[French; see detent.]
dé·tent'ist n.

detente
political term is 1908 borrowing of Fr. détente "loosening, slackening," used in O.Fr. for the catch of a crossbow, from V.L. detendita, fem. pp. of detendere "loosen, release," from de- "from, away" + tendere "stretch" (see tenet).
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun May 27, 2007 4:01 pm

I've known the word for years, but never stopped to think about its etymology, or its link to the crossbow.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun May 27, 2007 11:22 pm

And all along I thought detente was de place where de Boy Scouts slept ... no, wait a minute, that's detent. Listen! Image

:D
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:46 am

And all along I thought detente was de place where de Boy Scouts slept ... no, wait a minute, that's detent. Listen! Image

:D
:lol: Perhaps we should pronounce it with the French accent instead!
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon May 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Larry, you're just bucking for detention...

One of those words that alters spelling to put on a slightly different hat, but from the same root

Detent -commonly applied to an electronic control which has a neutral or nominal position available through a felt click, such as the centre position of a left/right stereo balance

Actually I've only encountered this use in written English, and it never occurred to me it should be pronounced as Bartleby renders above.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Tue May 29, 2007 12:02 am

I can 't hear or see this word without thinking about Kissenger and Nixon...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”