mean

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
xBCoon
Junior Lexiterian

mean

Postby xBCoon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:02 pm

This is such a natty little word with so many diverse 'mean'ings I would like to see it explored and explained by experts. Thanx!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Forget it, Dr.Goodword doesn't like short words, sigh.

mark at-least-not-the-ones-I-suggest Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:58 am

In the FORTRAN (FORmula TRANslation) computer language, variables whose names begin with the letters I, J, K, L, M, and N are integers (whole numbers without decimals (e. g. 1, 2, 3, ...)) by default and all others are real numbers (having a decimal part or an exponent (1.2, 3.05, 2E16 (2[sup]16[/sup]), ... ). Since the word MEAN can also mean (i. e., "is another word for") AVERAGE (the sum of a group of values divided by the number of values) in statistical applications, it's a popular variable name. The trouble is, a variable named MEAN is an integer by default, which causes any decimal part to be truncated (dropped). However, there is a way to override this default setting by telling the compiler to treat a variable that would normally be an integer as a real number. That's why my favorite FORTRAN statement is:
REAL MEAN
8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Mean/Average/Median

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 am

I could have sworn that way back when, in grade school, we were taught that these each had different meanings in Math. However, I can't come up with a difference between mean and average. Am I mis-remembering, or is there a difference? Any math wiz out there who'd care to help?

Thanks,

Slava

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Here you go, Slava:

Mean, Median, Mode, and Range

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Math

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Thank you for the tutorial. I'd forgotten completely about the mode and range. I also thought the median was the number at which 50% are above, and 50% below. This tutorial doesn't put it that way. Oh, well, shows what I know, eh?

Slava

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:30 pm

It's nothing Slava.

I'm an artist, where mean is part of a pugnacious observer's demand, "Yeah. But what does it mean?" Median refers to your quick estimate of a potential client's income level/purchasing power. :wink: Following a mode is adherence to a specific style. Range is the extent of your development of technical skill and creative technique(s). (Or, I suppose, it could be a western-themed landscape.)

-gailr
who abhores the average...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:58 pm

It's nothing Slava.

I'm an artist, where mean is part of a pugnacious observer's demand, "Yeah. But what does it mean?" Median refers to your quick estimate of a potential client's income level/purchasing power. :wink: Following a mode is adherence to a specific style. Range is the extent of your development of technical skill and creative technique(s). (Or, I suppose, it could be a western-themed landscape.)

-gailr
who abhores the average...
Gail's not just another mean woman ... 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

MEANINGS OF MEAN

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:37 pm

The problem with mean is not that it is short but that it has so many different meanings, some coming from semantic drift, others from coincidental merging of different words. I would have to focus on one meaning, which would have to be as interesting as the other words in the series.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm

but what does it all M-E-A-N?

mark meanie Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: MEANINGS OF MEAN

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:25 pm

The problem with mean is not that it is short but that it has so many different meanings, some coming from semantic drift, others from coincidental merging of different words. I would have to focus on one meaning, which would have to be as interesting as the other words in the series.
Maybe you should have a "mean theme" for a week's worth of words, a five-for-the-price-of one special. Monday would be a mean one, Tuesday would be mean, too, ... :wink:
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”