foil

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

foil

Postby Bailey » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:44 pm

Here is another short word with lots of varied meanings:
foil 1(foil)
tr.v. foiled, foil·ing, foils
1. To prevent from being successful; thwart.
2. To obscure or confuse (a trail or scent) so as to evade pursuers.
n. Archaic
1. A repulse; a setback.
2. The trail or scent of an animal.

[Middle English foilen, to trample, defile, variant of filen, to defile; see file3.]

foil 2(foil)
n.
1. A thin, flexible leaf or sheet of metal: aluminum foil.
2. A thin layer of polished metal placed under a displayed gem to lend it brilliance.
3. One that by contrast underscores or enhances the distinctive characteristics of another: "I am resolved my husband shall not be a rival, but a foil to me" Charlotte Brontë.
4. The reflective metal coating on the back of a glass mirror.
5. Architecture A curvilinear, often lobelike figure or space formed between the cusps of intersecting arcs, found especially in Gothic tracery and Moorish ornament.
a. An airfoil.
b. Nautical A hydrofoil.
tr.v. foiled, foil·ing, foils
1. To cover or back with foil.
2. To set off by contrast.

[Middle English, from Old French foille, from Latin folia, pl. of folium, leaf; see bhel-3 in Indo-European roots.]

foil 3(foil)
n.
1. A fencing sword having a usually circular guard and a thin, flexible four-sided blade with a button on the tip to prevent injury.
2. The art or sport of fencing with such a sword. Often used in the plural: a contest at foils.

[Origin unknown.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Poll E. Anna is the perfect foil, cockeyed optimist that she is, to her husband who is as negative and pessimistic as they come.

mark cusses-foiled-again Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:49 pm

The posting is so complete that we are foiled in our efforts to come up with a new wrinkle. :?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 am

The first thing I thought of was tin-foil hats, but, then, mine's a little tight...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”