ingenuous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
duggles
Junior Lexiterian

ingenuous

Postby duggles » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:17 am

disingenuous/ingenuous

I woke up this morning with "disingenous" in my head :shock: - and of course immediately started thinking about its positive connotation. Although definitions and examples are readily available for both, it struck me as odd how much more "in use" disingenuous is than ingenuous, and that the definition of disingenuous is the negative of the near obsolete meaning of ingenuous. Ingenuous, of course, can still be found, but it's use is relatively rare compared to the negative.

It also struck me as odd that I could find no mention of "genuous". The source of the whole family appears to be latin "ingenuus" but I find no mention of "genuus" and I sort of thought that the latin "in-" was a prefix. maybe not :?:

Just wondered if either of the words might rate discussion as a good word.

I should go back to sleep now.... :wink:
Life is short, but it's wide!
-- Chuck Pyle --

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:51 pm

Nice word, duggles. I've dismissed a few individuals as disingeuous but have overlooked ingenuous...

You mentioned "ingenuus" and "genuus"...
AHD says: "Latin ingenuus, honest, freeborn.' and references genə-, with an impressive range of derivatives worth looking at. It was interesting to see both gendarme and kindergarten in the same section.

As a suffix -genuous or -genous:
gen = that which produces
ous = possessing

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”