Thingstead

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Thingstead

Postby Grogie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:29 am

A place of meeting or discussion. ''The city hall is the thingstead of civic business.''

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:46 am

stead
O.E. stede "place, position, standing, delay," related to standan "to stand," from P.Gmc. *stadiz (cf. O.S. stedi, O.N. staðr, Swed. stad, Du. stede "place," O.H.G. stat, Ger. Stadt "town," Goth. staþs "place"), from PIE *stetis-, from base *ste-/*sta- "to stand" (see stet). Now chiefly in compounds or phrases. Steadfast is from O.E. stedefæst "secure in position," from stede + fæst "firmly fixed" (see fast).
When I used to have my own sales and marketing consultancy, I was able to go from my bedstead to my deskstead without leaving the room.

Thanks for a great word!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks Perry.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:52 pm

The Old Norse, Old Frisian and Old English þing with the meaning "assembly" is identical in origin to the English word thing, German Ding and modern Scandinvian ting when meaning "object". They are derived from Common Germanic *þengan meaning "appointed time", and some suggest an origin in PIE *ten-, "stretch", as in a "stretch of time for an assembly.

The evolution of the word thing from "assembly" to "object" is paralleled in the evolution of the Latin causa ("judicial lawsuit") to modern French chose and Spanish and Italian cosa (all meaning "object" or "thing").[1] [2]
Nice word, grogie! If you have any Asatruar friends you might hear them discussing Moot Things: not trivialities in this context, but serious meetings. Some historical thingsteads are protected in Scandinavian countries (and Icelanders still refer to their legislative body as AlThing).

-gailr
not Norse, just wearing the hollywood helmet...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:27 pm

I forgot to mention Dagwood Bumstead.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:56 pm

And now, for some thing completely different?

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:08 am

And now, for some thing completely different?
A man with three Thingsteads?

No I guess that's already been done...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”